Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mechanical broadheads through mesh windows?

Old 12-15-2003, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mechanical broadheads through mesh windows?

I've always heard that you could shoot fixed blade only through the mesh.
I have the TSC doghouse, but I never use the shoot through windows.
the black interior, will keep deer and turkey from seein you. and you can see them a lot better without the mesh over the windows.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

We use DB's shoot-thru netting with our T5 blinds.
I must admit I was also skeptical at first, but
after doing some testing a couple of years back,
my partner and I have taken quite a few animals
while shooting through the netting. With the amount
of time we put in preparing for our hunts, if it
affected my arrow flight...I wouldn't use it. The last
thing I want to do is work my tail off and then
miss, or worse yet, wound a animal.

We've shot Muzzy 4-blades, Wasp SST's, and Rocket
Steelheads, all with good success. My partner took
a coues buck a couple years ago, while hunting
over a waterhole, at 52 yds, with a 100 gr. Rocket
Steelhead...perfect hit. If you've ever hunted these
spooky animals you know how difficult it is to get
a shot, like I mentioned, if the netting had affected
our arrow flight...we wouldn't have used it...we
probably wouldn't have gotten a shot then - 'cuz
they'd have picked off the windows/ports, but
that's another story .

Make sure your bow is tuned and the arrow is
leaving the bow properly. I'd recommend that
each and every hunter shoot their BH/arrow combo-
nation through the netting before hunting, I can
only speak for the results I've seen or experienced.

I'm not sure if this pic will show the hole in the netting
from my Wasp SST, but the blade cuts are sharp
and you can see there are no snags. The hole is
right above the vertical weed behind the netting...
Old 12-15-2003, 08:45 PM

Zel,

I thought when I read your first post you had a slight misunderstanding in regard to the characteristics of arrow flight. Then I read your second post and it removed all doubt.

If your reply wasn't enough to bury your credibility, then admitting in your last statement that you had never tried it yourself was definitely the final nail in the coffin.

Most contact of any kind has an adverse effect on arrow flight, but some things do not hinder arrow flight at all.

Why do you think people "paper-tune" an arrow if the paper itself will cause erratic behavior in that arrow?? If you were correct, they would call it "paper-untuning".

Why do you think the whisker biscuit is such a succesful rest?? I had a so-called expert in an archery shop tell me he didn't like the whisker biscuit because, as he said "..we've always tried to minimize rest contact to the arrow, and this rest does just the opposite with bristles that are in constant contact with the shaft and fletching, it goes against everything we have always tried to do..". What he didn't understand, that apparently you don't either, is that it's not contact that causes improper arrow flight, it's UNEVEN contact. If the arrow passes through something as thin and unobtrusive as a paper, blind mesh, or whisker biscuit, which applies extremely light , EVEN resistance on the shaft, it causes no flight problems.

At this point I'm resigned to just hoping you'll speak from experience next time instead of ignorance. If there's anything I know , it's archery. I am my own pro shop because I don't trust the guys who are supposed to be the "pro's" - I've seen too much of their work. I cut, fletch, etc. my own arrows, tune my own bow, etc. I accomplish things with fixed blade broadhead flight that most respected pro shop guys would tell you is not possible. I wouldn't argue with you about football, girls, most politics, etc, but I am totally in my element when it comes to archery and bowhunting.

Just so you know, tall grass , twigs, and brush, can deflect arrows. I thought at first you were being sarcastic but at this point i'm starting to wonder about ya.

And yes, an UNbalanced head wreaks havoc on arrow flight because it causes UNeven air flow, and therefore UNeven pressure at the steering end of the arrow.

Think about it.

And yes, you can call me with all of your bow/arrow/tuning problems just like everybody else in this county does.

Sincerely yours,
cap
Old 12-16-2003, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you practice shooting through the mesh at a target with mechanicals, how will you know if the mesh opened them or not? they will be open when you retrieve them from the target. If your arrow flight is all goofed up and you cant hit the mark, that would prove it, but what if they were opening slightly (or completely) and STILL flying straight? there really wouldnt be a way to know, and if some were opening through the mesh and some were not, then the real problem would be if the blades were aligned on some arrows and not others and when the moment of truth came on a monster buck or big tom , man, i would be so worried i probably wouldnt shoot......

have fun!
moose