Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How NOT to shoot a big buck!

Old 12-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default How NOT to shoot a big buck!

Went out this morning and after sitting for 2 hours I saw 2 does, out of range of course. So while getting colder I decide to sit a while longer. 1/2 later comes 4 more does southwest of me....out of range again of course. I think to myself, I will sit a while longer and let my mustache ice up. After another hour and a 1/2, I scan all around and think its time to go, I've seen all thats moving and nothing else will come around. But, I count to 30(just something I do), look all around and nothing is to be seen but squirells and birds.

Now mind you in 3.5 hours time I saw 6 does, lots of squirells and birds. In all this time I kept telling myself its not cold, that I could tough it out a little longer, hoping a nice buck would come by. The wind shifts and picks up, making hunting from a stand even more miserable. Even the pocket handwarmer does not seem as comfy against my bare hand with my release around it. I decide to count to 30 again...just in case something is coming my way. Nope, all clear, time to get down and go home, besides the wife is waiting for me to take her Xmas shopping. I let my bow down and then get two steps down from my chain on stand and something tells me to look behind me. Coming towards me, and now at 20 yards away is a 150 class buck, with around a 20" inside spread. All I can do is hang on and watch helplessly as he moves on north of me in a circle, finally crossing the creek and out of sight.

Being the foolish one that I am, I get back in the stand and pull my bow back up and sit another hour so I can get colder, just in case! Now I am home, warmer and disgusted that Murphy's Law got me again. I hate Mr. Murphy!!!!![&o]
Old 12-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How NOT to shoot a big buck!

Been there, done that!! Don't ya just love morning hunts? It seems like every time I go hunting in the morning I'm scared to death to get down for fear that as soon as I move I'll scare deer. I've done that count to 30 thing a few times but I've never seen a deer while I was counting. Next time use the 1 M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I ,...... 2 M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I, ........ technique. It might have worked today.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

NOPE.... got a sure fire way to keep that from happening. When you decide it's time to get down just yell as loud as you come. "I'M GETTING DOWN NOW. YA'LL JUST WAIT A HALF HOUR AND I'LL BE OUT OF HERE"! Then as you lower your bow sing in a loud voice.... "FROM THE HALLS OF MONTEZUMA... TO THE SHORES OF T........ " etc etc. Keep singing until you get to the truck. I promise it'll work.[8D]
Old 12-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've counted also.

Strange idiosynchratic behavior.

Anyway, once the temp drops below about 35 degrees or so, I have a hard time enjoying the hunt. I still do it, but it is an exercise in endurance.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

been there done that once this year
Old 12-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

Man, your "Murphy's Law story" brings back some
really bad memories...

Why do things like this happen?[:@][:@]

Hopefully you'll get your opportunity....I like to
think things even out in the long run. Don't see
too many bowhunters sitting 5 hours in this kind
of weather, especially late season...hard to believe
a matter of seconds make a that big of a
difference...but, I know they do.

I'll be out there next week, better get the handwarmers
ready.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm so scared of that happening that when I lower my bow to the ground, I leave my hoist rope attached to my harness. That way, no matter where I am on the tree, I can pull it back up to me if need be.

Sorry to hear about the morning. I do know what you mean about the cold, though. Last night, I had the buck I've been after standing across a 10' wide creek at dusk 30 yards away. It's the fifth straight time I've seen the 140-class buck: I've had him at 60 yards, 50, 40, 20, saw him at the same place as the 20-yard sighting, though I was trying to outsmart him and was 150 yards away. I was running out of daylight, so I grunted at him, hoping he would think it was one of the 11 deer out in front of me sending an invite. It didn't work. In fact, it put him on edge, and he stood frozen right in that very spot for thirty more minutes. So I didn't get to get down from my stand until about forty-five minutes after dark last night.

Oh yeah. He eventually did cross the creek and walk right under me. All I could see was a tail, twenty minutes after sunset.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

I feel for you Greg, that has to be tough. This is the 3rd time to see this buck, but is also the closest he has been, and I know he will not come this way again. Moving my stand to another location near the creek, and giving the area a weeks rest. Good luck and keep us posted Greg.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tough break man, I feel your pain...

Only a true bowhunter would sit that long in this kind of weather. My hats off to your for your tough never say die mettle.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's an amazing phenomenom. Something that no deer biologist has the answer to. And don't think for one minute they don't do it on purpose. I've adopted a new technique this season for situations like that. I'll get all my stuff packed. Get situated just like you would when you get down. Check the time, put the grunt away, rattling horns, etc....... lower the bow down. Get up and put your foot on the first step. Then immediately sit back down and raise the bow and knock an arrow.
You know what happens? You sit another hour and when you get down for real .........."IT" happens. Go figure.

Quick Reply: How NOT to shoot a big buck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.