Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do people that hunt turkey with a bow......

Old 12-11-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Why do people that hunt turkey with a bow......

Why do people that hunt turkey with a bow always go running at them when they shoot them......I was just wondering......I seen a guy do this on a hunting show I was watching...Why did he have to do this??.....LMK ASAP...Thanks.......(BTW....I have never hunted turkey...so I am not an idiot....lol)
Old 12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do people that hunt turkey with a bow......

Because sometimes they'll lay down after they're hit, and then spring up and take off somewheres. Since turkeys are covered with thick feathers they tend not to leave a good blood trail.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've wondered the same thing, and I am planning on going on my first turkey hunt this spring.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:25 PM

when the turkey gets shot the turkey flops around the turkey might get his self together and fly off or run off,soon as you shoot take off and get him.it has happen to me.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen them do it when they are using
a shot gun too,guess it all depends if
your worried about loosing the bird!!![8D]
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 PM

Everyone takes after the turkey after they shoot it, shotguns included. I have lost a nice one because I didn't run after it. Would have gotten to it too. Birds are tough with all of those feathers.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

THat's why you shoot them in the head. I've killed many a turkey and never once ran to the bird after the shot. If you do it right you can sit back and relax.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is not untypical of a Bow hunting turkeys. The hunter tends to shoot for the vitals in place of a head shot. As most animals shot in the body vitals they will go untill exspire happens. With turkeys they can get out of eye sight and hide/go down a hole before the exspiring happens and the hunter has alost bird on his hands. This is why they want to be on the bird ASAP...BT
Old 12-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

I've never had to chase one either. whether usin a shotgun or bow. I shoot for the base of the neck when usin a shotgun, and try to hit through the wing and into the top of the leg when bowhuntin. with his legs out of pocket, he can't run, and he can't fly, becasuse he has to have his legs to get airborne.
but it's always a good thing to get to the turkey as quick as possible. him floppin around like that he can lose tail feathers which he needs if your goin to make a fan mount.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP.... keep them in site as long as possible. They will usually travel a little ways and there isn't much of a blood trail. Keeping them insite as long as possible can mean the difference between eating Crow or drumsticks.

Quick Reply: Why do people that hunt turkey with a bow......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.