Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ground hunt

Old 12-11-2003, 05:03 AM

Default ground hunt

Anybody out there ever groud hunt in mo. with a bow.? had any luck baging a buck. what did you do to keep down scent and what other things did you know to get that doe.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:24 AM

Default RE: ground hunt

Welcome to the boards! I ground hunted last weekend, and like the past 2 years was unsuccessful (that's how long I've been bow hunting[:@]). So I'm probably not the best person to get advice from.

By the way, what part of Mo are you in?
Old 12-11-2003, 07:16 AM

I dont live in MO but i have ground hunted before, in fact the first deer i have i have ever SHOT at was from the ground. You just have to have a good setup and stay good with the wind. It is very exciting to have a deer 15 yards away from you, looking you in the eyes!! I suggest alot of scent away!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I ground hunt a lot because I love the rush of it. Nothing like being eye level with a deer at 15 -20 yards. Think it's tough in a stand. It will blow your mind from the ground. Gives me the heeby geebies thinking about it. Wind is the biggest thing. Has to be in your favor or you're screwed. #2 I would I have learned is movement. Try not to panic and move to shoot too quick. When a deer is approaching you can hardly breath. Take advantage of opportune times to move. Study the deers every half step and head movement. If it ducks behind a tree for a moment make whatever subtle move you have to make at that time. Don't even attempt to positon yourself or draw if it is heading toward you or quartering in. Have to wait til they have passed or quartering away. Good luck and enjoy getting busted like I do!!!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:31 AM

I ground hunt mucho. Talk about a challenge. You must use all the elements of stealth. Always play the wind, move at a snails pace and observe everything in your field of vision. Someday you will come within that magic zone. Then you have the option: shoot or let pass. I usually decide to pass but when I do I always let the deer know I have successfully arrived in their playground. I merely speak softly and say,"hello deer'! Talk about a rush. They often just stare in what looks like disbelief. If I could only figure out what is going thru their minds at that moment? On the walk back to realityville I have visions of them getting together with their buddies and saying that "I met this mailman in the grotto today, fully armed and he did'nt go postal on me". "Talk about one layed-back dude".
Old 12-11-2003, 11:51 AM

If its legal in Mo, I would try salt licks or any other good food to get in close.
Another good tip is good cover scents, like fox pee or racoon, Whatever small animal is native to you in your area.

P.S and don't move until that perfect moment when he is off guard
Old 12-11-2003, 01:00 PM

I've only shot two deer on the ground. I usually look for a blowdown with a big tree behind it near a run or funnel. I position myself behind the blowdown and directly infront of the big tree. This give pretty good cover front and back.

The most important thing is to stay very still and play the wind but it can definately be done. Also if you're going to hunt from the ground I suggest learning to shoot from the seated position if you don't already practice that shot. The deer I got early in bow season was shot at 15 yards while sitting. I had no chance to stand w/o getting busted.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:46 PM

I was lucky this year to get one on the ground at 12 yards. I have analyzed and dreamt about that hunt since then. What allowed me to be successful, albeit mostly by luck, was several evergreen trees that were between me and the deer and were just sparse enough to allowed me to catch glimpses of where he was moving to. When I saw that he was coming out to one the sides of the evergreens, I stood and drew and waited for him to emerge from behind them. He no sooner did when he saw me and stopped dead in his tracks, giving me just a second or two to lock on and shoot. Since I was already at full draw and tracking him as he came in, that was all I needed.

I plan on doing a lot of ground hunting next year as a result of the rush it gave me and is still giving me a month later. My plan is to try to get in the same type of set up as I stumbled on this year. I plan (and have already picked out a few places where I can do this) to set up with an evergreen directly in front of me, between me and the trail(s) I’m watching. This will allow me to see both sides of the trail and to draw when the deer walks behind the evergreen and be ready for the perfect quartering away shot as they emerge on the other side. It sounds almost fool proof, so I’m sure it won’t work for me. Of course, as others have said, I will be paying very close attention to the wind and my scent.

Anyway, that’s my plan and the scenario I will be trying to set-up every time I’m on the ground, or until I discover another way that may work better. Luckily, I have the perfect woods to do that in.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:54 PM

I used to hunt a lot on the ground when I was younger. I killed several bucks and a few does from home made ground blinds. However, I always seemed to very impatient while ground hunting. I had the tendency to move more and never could get very comfortable. I like treestand hunting for the increased visability and b/c it's not quite as easy to pick up and move, thereby forcing to hunt longer.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:10 PM

i hunt form the ground at a farm i hunt. this year i have had 3 bucks walk by me at 15, 7 and 30 yards. The one at 7 yards came in right towards me head first the entire time.... I couldn't move than he saw me blink or something than stopped and jumped back adn walked away. The one at thirty i shot over his back, missed judge the distance and he jumped the string. It is very difficult but the most rewardable. My suggestion is to take your time, make sure you have some cover infront of you. Or if you want to spend a little money, buy one of those pop up blinds i.e the outhouse blind or one of those things... easy and quick to put up and down. always play the wind. Good luck hunting and i hope this helps