Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? Management Bucks?

Old 12-10-2003, 09:58 AM

Default ? Management Bucks?

I'm wanting to hear opinions out there on "management bucks". I've heard many, many theories about what type of racks "will never improve" and thus the bearer should be shot. Do spikes and forks turn into good racks? I've also heard people say that 1 1/2 year old deer should be almost out to their ears with a nice, small 6-8 pt frame. I personally passed on a 1 1/2 year old forkhorn this bow season hoping he'll be better next year. I'm interested to hear what you all think as I'm sure opinions will vary widely.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ? Management Bucks?

A bucks first rack is no indication of potential, so really, any 1.5 year old should be let to grow another year.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:29 AM

I consider a management buck a mature deer that has reached its full potential - yet this "potential" does not meet the "managers" standards as trophy class or less than the area should produce.

Taking young bucks regardless of their rack size - can indeed remove a future trophy from the area.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:43 AM

orthobowhunter, The only suggestion I can give to any one who needs educated is to get a subscription to Deer and Deer Hunting magazine. I'm in no way affiliated but one year (9 issues) alone will tell you more about deer and will teach you more than you've learned in your life time about them. Read it from cover to cover and try to understand it all. I suggest to read and learn it like it's your highschool final exam and you need to pass it. It has certainly made me a better deer bowhunter and the information I retain is used to help setup my other family members when bowhunting.

But basically, any deer has the potentiol to be a "good deer" with good genes, good food and time.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

oliverwfe, i agree, deer and deer hunting magazine is the best one out there. to have a balanced deer herd, all 1 1/2 year-old bucks should be off limits, i have seen captive spikes grow to be majestic 10-pointers in two years
Old 12-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there is a spike around here, then something is deffinaltely wrong with it. I've seen 3 and 4 points but have only heard of people seeing true 1x1 bucks. Must be a genetic problem for the buck if it is a spike around here.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I definitely think that a 1.5 year old spike or fork will be much bigger the following year. When I hear the term "management buck" I picture a mature 3.5 to 4.5 year old deer with a typical 8 point rack.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

It all comes down to what goals you have for the kind of animals you want to hunt.

If you want to hunt "booners" your best bet is to harvest mature 8pts and allow your 10s and 12s to reach their prime of 5 or 6 yrs old. You will even see animals that are better than 8s that don't possess the qualities required to reach 'boonerville' these would also be mgmt bucks if they don't fit in with your goals.

If you want to hunt deer 150 or better, this in my mind is where the mgmt. gets fuzzy, because if I have a 150 8pt and a 160 10pt in range.....I shootin' the 8. Not because he is a mgmt buck, but because he is PIG!
Old 12-10-2003, 05:40 PM

In my opinion, if it will look good on the wall shoot it if not wait till next year
Old 12-10-2003, 05:44 PM

mike j said it.

go deep hunt hard.

Quick Reply: ? Management Bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.