Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ever get so mad at your bow you just about...

Old 12-10-2003, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ever get so mad at your bow you just about...

YUP, I've done it. Last year, all summer, and into October through December I was shooting very well. Then I took a couple weeks off. I went to Southern Illinois on a late season Bow hunt. I decided to shoot a little bit, and I was WAY off. I was shooting left, then right, high, low, you name it. I was making adjustments and nothing was working.

I started tossing my bow all around, knocking my site all over the place. Almost threw it in a lake, but held back. Well, I got it to where I felt comfortable. Decided I would only take a shot within 25 yards that trip.....40 usually.

Well, this past summer it was happening again. Driving me nuts. Then I started to think more. I shoot with an open hand. However, when the bow shoots I would grab the bow really quick instead or letting it fall forward despite having a bow sling. Well, one time I just forced myslef to let it fall. OUCH, I hit my arm so damn hard. I was bleeding on my left forarm, BUT that arrow hit right where I aimed. So, I started shooting and juist letting the bow fall forward. Now, when I shoot I actually push the bow forward to fall. Turns out the problem was me.

J
Old 12-10-2003, 08:13 AM

hmmm i think your user id fits your story quite well justthrowit
Old 12-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Never threw my bow as I'm much too good of a shot for that. LOL
Threw many a fine and expensive graphite Tennis racket over the years because I was getting the hell kicked out of myself on the court. [:@]
Would never take up Golf because I just know I would be throwing clubs.

Sag.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gotta tell you about the one time I did toss a bow. I'd just gotten a new Brackenbury recurve. The first field archery shoot I took it to, I was having a rough time for the first few targets and was totally frustrated with myself. I completely missed the paper with two arrows on a 30 yard target, then threw the bow down (in a thick bed of nice, soft clover, of course) and stood there talking to myself. The rest of the group was walking down to score and pull arrows.

Well, there was this little dead sapling there and I reached over and snapped the thing in half. When they heard the sound of breaking wood, the other guys in the groups stopped dead in their tracks and turned around with this horrified look on their faces.

I got a good laugh out of that one. Best of all, the laugh got me relaxed and focused again, and I shot good the rest of the day. Good enough to win traditional class.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:57 PM

I've got news for ya, it's rarely the bows fault, most of the time you can look in the mirror and see the problem.. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:29 AM

us bow hunters experience frustrating problems to the extreme of wanting to toss your bow, was it your problem or a problem with the bow
Most of the time its me. If my bow could talk it would be threatening to toss ME aside.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:48 PM

the closest i've ever came is throwing a release. Almost threw my old bow after missing a deer though. Figured out the problem was me later though.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:38 PM

Pse guy, all I can say is I've been there before. Almost smashed a Pearson into a large black-jack oak one time. Don't know how I was able to hold off.

I've always had a problem with target panic. Lost so many oppurtunities at deer, so many frustrating moments. Two years ago I heard about a release that actually helps a hunter control target panic. The Answer by Golden Key. It cost me a hundred bucks but I was willing to try anything to get my control back. I can honestly say that it was well worth it!! Frustrating days are over. I get 3 inch groups at 50 yds now and have no more target panic problems. I've since discovered that MANY people have target panic to some extent , and most don't realize it. Do you ever freeze just off target?? Can you shoot better alone but if someone is there with you you fall apart?? Do you release before you're really ready to?? A little target panic causes EVERYTHING to be off. May not be your deal, but I'd check into it. If there's any way I can help, let me know. Sounds like I've paved the road your going down.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:06 PM

Luckily I got through that phase before I took up archery! Sure did go through a mess of golf clubs on the way though!!!
Chris
Old 12-11-2003, 09:10 PM

instead off tossing me aside, my bow decided to run away. I had drit in my cam and when i slightly leaned on it in the deer stand it gave me an upper cut and then jumped abou 20 feet to the ground. Must have broken a leg or something cuz it couldnt run away. I have a new bow now and i havnt thrown it yet!