Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moultrie game cam 2

Old 12-06-2003, 12:01 AM

Default Moultrie game cam 2

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with the moultrie game cam 2. My girlfriend just bought me one for an early christmas present and i have never really heard anything about them before. Just wondering if any of you could tell me the pros and cons of this trail cam.

Thanks
Tom
Old 12-06-2003, 06:54 AM

Default RE: Moultrie game cam 2

Well, I owned one last year.....

The Pro's..
1. It doesn't cost much

The Con's
1. The flash doesn't spread out over the entire area for night shots
2. Dusk and dawn shots are too dark.
3. They aren't entirely waterproof.
4. Ants will get inside the unit.
5. You have to open the unit to see how many pictures are taken.
6. They are large.
7. They are heavy.
8. They have a problem with taking pictures of nothing at all.

Also, mine didn't last too long. It worked good at first, except for the points mentioned above. After awhile though, the camera got to the point where it would stick when triggered. So, in other words, if I just set it up, and a deer walks in front of it, it will keep taking pictures even after the deer walked away. The one I owned did this until the roll of film was finished.

Finally, it got to the point where as soon as I would load it, the camera would just start taking pictures until the roll was done.

I am not sure if this is an option for you, but, you could take it back, and get your money back. Then, you could pretty much afford two of the Stealth Cam MC2-G's which are GREAT! I got mine for around $65 each, and these things are well worth the money. This is one case where you get alot more than you pay for.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:19 AM

buck magnet,

thanks for the advice. I did take it back this morning and exchanged it. I wasn't to impressed with it. I didn't like the way it had so many parts and not to mention 10 batteries. The funny thing is that i exchanged it for the Stealthcam mc2 -g and i hadn't read your post yet. My buddy has the stealthcam and all his pics have turned out awsome. thanks for the help.

Tom
Old 12-06-2003, 03:27 PM

Hey no problem, and I am glad to see that you got it all figured out.

I am a big advocate of the Stealth Cam MC2-G. After buying one to try out and have it work flawlessly, I bought another. I have gotten over 200 pics out of these things and they have all been great. Some of the pics looked like they had nothing in them, but, after looking closely, I could see deer in the background that were WAY further than what the camera is rated for. A bunch of guys on here have these cameras and love them, but, then some don't like them. There are two pieces of advice that I can give you.......

1. Loading the film is a little tricky. Alot of guys have problems with it there first time unless they know about this. There is a little spiked roller inside that you have to put the film over. Get the spikes in the holes of the film, then, start closing the lid with your finger keeping the film on the roller. Do this until your finger stops you, then just slide your finger out and it will set the film right. If the film is set right, you will see a "0" on the display, if it isn't set right, you will see a "E".

2. Some guys complain that the PIR sensor is too wide and that it will take pictures too early, taking a picture of the deer when it isn't centered in the camera lens. You can fix this by putting a little piece of tape on each side of the PIR sensor. This will narrow the sensors area and make sure the deer is in the center of the pictures. It doesn't bother me but some guys don't like it.

Other than that, enjoy the camera, it is a AWSOME tool, especially for the price.