Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Native american hunting methods

Old 12-05-2003, 05:38 AM
Banned

Default RE: Native american hunting methods

Huntrgirl, you little bit of stereortypical dribble would be more believable if you could keep your facts straight but thanks for submitting that little piece of fiction. I'm not even going to bother pointing out the spots where your facts just don't jive. Well maybe one...you said "every year BEFORE DEER SEASON my aunts, uncles, cousins, and me and my father all gather and become "one with the deer" by drinking the blood of a deer that a youngster has just killed. Problem here is if deer season hasn't started yet, how is it one of the youngsters managed to bag their first for this ritual? And the rest of your 2 postings is filled with similar discrepancies. You paint a pretty picture. Too bad it's mostly Fantasy (aka BS)
Old 12-05-2003, 07:44 AM

Sorry for the WR post my 2 year old got on here and now she has to stand in the corner.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The times they are a changin'--The natives i know are all too lazy to get off their butt--let alone learn the ways of the elders.jmho.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

WhiteRaven,

I thought today was the annual kindergarden field trip, how come you stayed home?
Old 12-05-2003, 09:01 AM

Yes the American Indians would wear a deerskin and sneak right up on deer. They knew that the tarsal gland would cover their scent and sometimes stood in a wood fire smoke to cover their scent.

They had to live off the land so they were very efficient. In my area they made very clever fish traps just using sticks knowing that herring and shad were coming up the creeks to spawn. They caught them by the thousands. They also caught crabs and clams and oysters by just sending the women and kids out into the shallow creeks.

They would float pumpkins down the creeks and rivers and once the ducks and geese got use to seeing that they would carve a big one out and swim with a pumpkin over their head looking out through slits and they swam right up and grabbed them by hand. Thats efficient.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought today was the annual kindergarden field trip, how come you stayed home ?
LOL

Four generations of my family concealed their heritage out of fear and misplaced shame because of hatred and bigotry. I envy those who were free to learn the ways of their people from their Elders.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

RE: WR ravens rant about seasons etc.

are game-laws different on resevervations? My great, great grandfather married an indian woman. There's not connection with that side of the family anymore that I know of but it would have been cool. I like hearing about their hunting strategies... very learned in what they did.