Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best shot placement on a deer

Old 12-04-2003, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default best shot placement on a deer

hey guys, i would like an opinion or two on this. in october, i took a 25+/- yard shot from the ground. i had snuck up on the deer, and it gave me a quartering towards me shot, head to the left. i chose front shoulders, and watched my arrow drive it home, heard the crack of an impact. never found the deer, even with use of a tracking dog. this saturday, bow season starts again, and i still think i took the right shot, better than a gut shot, and would do it again. the tracking guy says that my arrow probably hit the shoulderblade, and never really got through. would you have taken this same shot, or places it someplace else. i know one thing, i was that i could have shot it, at that range, with a gun. the freezer would look a bit better.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: best shot placement on a deer

I'm sure some people will disagree with me but in my opinion a quartering towards you shot is not a good shot with a bow. I would have waited for a broadside or quartering away shot. Your goal should be to get a double lung shot.
You need to study deer anatomy and learn where the vitals are and what major bones come into play with different shots
Check this site out, it will help alot.
http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html

You cannot compare a bow with a gun, just hitting the deer is not good enough with a bow. This is part of the challenge.

A good bowhunter can be judged by the shots he passes on... not the shots that he takes.

If I can help you in anyway just give me a shout. Have a great day
Old 12-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quartering to are low percentage. I have killed a few that way, but they have almost all been one lung/liver hits...which can sometimes result in a long tracking job. If you hit far forward and heard the crack...you probably didn't get the penetration you needed (especially with not finding him even with a dog). Personally I wait for broadside or quartering away shots only now. Much higher percentage shot.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

A quartering towards shot leaves a much smaller margin for error, most likely you definitely hit a shoulder.....tough as nails. In my opinion a quartering away shot is best followed by the broadside shot.

I am gonna catch heck for saying this but, I would rather take a frontal shot than a quartering towards shot.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:34 AM

have to agree with the rest, quartering away or a broadside shot are the best, a shot with the deer coming towards you has too many variables.

i'm going to let cougar man off the hook and not comment on a frontal shot.[:-]
Old 12-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-04-2003, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can't stand those shots! I wait for the deer to turn.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

this saturday, bow season starts again, and i still think i took the right shot, better than a gut shot, and would do it again.
You would do it again? Didn't you learn the first time?

And FWIW, a one lung hit is tougher to track then a stomach hit. Not that either should be intentially taken.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It s one of the worst shots to take I did take one this year that way but he jumped the string went in right behind the shoulder and out just in front of the rear leg striking the rear leg dead canter leaving the arrow in the deer he ran about 250yds I almost didnt find him. Nope I wouldnt take it.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

THat's not a good shot to take. You've seen it fail, why would you attempt it again, that is irresponsible. [:@][:@]

Quick Reply: best shot placement on a deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.