Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My right to be wrong

Old 12-03-2003, 11:26 PM

Default RE: My right to be wrong

I would like to know how anyone could determine a precise spot on a 9 inch diameter kill area at 107 yards with a pin sight?

How does the guy determine how far above the deer he will aim at the clouds? Please don't tell me that the bow has so much energy the trajectory of his hunting shaft is so flat he can put a pin on the spot, or that his sight bar is 12" long and has 10 pins.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know one guy who will kill deer at 40 - 50 yards and he ain't me.
30 yards is my comfort level.

I can hit the target at 40-45 but won't take a live shot at those distances.
Some people can, good for them.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:12 AM

Me, personally I only shoot at deer out to 30 yards. I truly belive I can take deer at ranges further that 30 yards but I lost a deer once and wish not to repeat that. In the whitetail country I hunt I belive that long shots can be avoided with good stand placement. I often see deer at distances greater that 30 yards but those deer are (If there is enough light) going to pass within 30 yards of my stand. I do my homework and set up my stand accordingly.

With that being said I'm not trying to take away anything from someone who wishes to take longer shots. I can understand while hunting mulies w/ stalk tactics it may be necessary to take longer shots. It's just not for me. If you practice and are proficient, to each his own.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:13 AM

Its not the distance, it is where the target will be when the arrow gets there. A simple step forward by the deer at the moment of release could mean a gut shot at 60 yrds. Even at 290 fps.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

not to be a dick, but thats 265fps where? at the bow? 10 feet away? shoot it through a chrono at 60 yds and then what? as soon as it leaves the rest it is going to begin losing speed
According to the balistic calculator on Bo Jackson's site my arrow is still moving at around 240 fps at 60 yards. Like I say... it'll travel the extra distance from 30 to 60 in about 1/3 of a second. I won't take the shot... but I can see where it can be made with no problems.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:13 AM

[quote][According to the balistic calculator on Bo Jackson's site][quote]

Did Bo take up archery after he got a plastic hip? What is his website address?

I get it, BO KNOWS BOW.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I shortened it... it used to be BowJackson.com or something like that. Here is the link. All kinds of good things on this site. Incidently... THE BO Jackson does bow hunt... big time.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html
Old 12-04-2003, 05:44 PM

c903, he does in fact have a pin for 110 yds. He shoots a PSE Scorpion at 84#'s, and sends out a 420 grn arrow at 312ft/sec. His sight box is an older version of a PSE box(approx. 4" from top to bottom).He has milled it out to accept cobra pins. He has a 120yd range and I can personally attest to his proficiency at that distance. He has taken many deer, bear, caribou and moose at ranges from in your lap to the afore mentioned deer at 107, and has yet to lose a single animal with his bow. So, my point is, should we condemn this hunter for his practices? I think not. Many hunters make poor decisions every year, no matter what their personal limits are set at. I happen to know that the hunter i mentioned above also turns down many shots every year that just aren't quite right. Given his record i believe that he has the ability to judge when longer shots are warranted, and when they should be passed. Until any hunter proves me wrong I will continue to support any hunter who uses solid judgement to stay within his/her own personal limits. Again...just my opinion!

Chris
Old 12-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

But you know.... whacking a deer at 100 yards takes all the "BOWHUNTING" out of it. Man, I just like to see their whiskers and eyeballs when I'm getting ready to shoot. I like to beable to tell it's a doe and not a big button etc etc. Where I hunt it would be hard to squeeze a bullet through the trash to shoot something 100 yards away.