Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wnat to start bow hunting

Old 12-03-2003, 06:37 AM

Default wnat to start bow hunting

Hey,

I am moving to Bucks County PA and am wondering what i need to get started bow hunting with, what kind of bow and all the othere things, i am turkey hunt and would think that it would be a good expierience to go bow hunting.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-03-2003, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: wnat to start bow hunting

Navy gave you some good advice, buy your bow at a pro-shop and have them set it up to fit you and tune it. Have the pro-shop also match you up with the proper arrows for you and your bow. You do not have to buy the most expensive bow in the shop in order to hunt with, but do not buy a Wally World special either, the majority of major bow manufacturers produce some darn fine affordable entry level bows.

You need to start practicing now for next season and I will be honest you can not practice to much but you can sure not practice enough.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here there... Excellent advice by Taz and Navy.

I started bow hunting 2 seasons ago. You absolutely positively HAVE TO go to a bow shop (or good sporting goods store where they have a big hunting section) and get yourself measured. I did and learned that I have a 30" draw length.

They take you over to the side of the store and make you hold an old style "long bow" with a huge dowel rod permanently attached to the bow string. The rod is marked off in inches and half inches. They say, "okay, carefully draw the bow and hold it". If you're draw form is off, they move your arms and shoulders and make you get into the proper form. While you're holding the long bow at full draw, they carefully check the dowel rod for the measurement.

Once they know your draw length, then they will get you outfitted with a bow that's the right bow length that you should be shooting. ....A 29" draw length bow, a 27 1/2" draw length bow, a 30" draw length bow, etc...etc...etc...

You could also do what I did and check Ebay for bows - but only once you know what your draw length is supposed to be. I picked up an old PSE Edge 1000C lefty bow at 30" draw, 65# weight, for only like $70 bucks or something. But then, I had to take it to the bow shop and get it checked out, get it outfitted with gear, and get it setup exactly for my size.

See, bows are personal. Bows are unique like us. Only a left handed guy with a 30" draw could shoot my bow. Nobody else could properly shoot it.

Good luck and like Taz and Navy said, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!

Butch
Old 12-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the above posts. First and foremost get your weapon tuned to you. Practice your butt off so you know when the moment of truth comes it's a done deal. Start off light and don't get wrapped up in all the gadgets involved at first. Get some hunting clothes and like the others said you don't need top of the line bow right now. Get acclamated and find out if the sport is for you (which it will be cause it's awesome). Whatever the case may be, it sounds like you're moving to the right county to be getting started in. Bucks County..............oh my!!!!!