Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting dogs

Old 12-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting dogs

IL_Bow_Man, I was thinking the same thing. I've read these articles about the DNR coming out shooting dogs themselves, as I mentioned earlier but I can't imagine them actually even coming out in Tx. Our game wardens are stretched thin and they don't have time to respond to calls like that. When I talked to the head Tx Parks and Wildlife biologist in our area last year, we talked about the problem and he said that it was something that HAD to be taken care of and that the only way to solve it was for hunters to do it themselves because GW's can't come sit on your deer stand waiting to see a dog run by.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think were just about to beat this horse to death. Just drop it and go on, agree to disagree. There are two sides to this thread (1) Those who wouldn't shoot a dog despite how many times it runs deer or cattle or any other livestock and (2) Those who would kill a dog for "REPEAT OFFENSES" of running deer. I don't think anyone has stated that he would enjoy having to shoot a dog for any reason. But if a dog is continually screwing up your hunting and you've made numerous attempts to convey your frustration to the dogs owner, and he/she has done nothing to prevent it from happening again, what other option are you left with? Give me a break, we who take our hunting serious, as I believe most of us on this forum do, deserve to have a great hunt every time we go out, and I for one am not going to compromise all the hard work and effort that I put in every year just because someone is too unconcerned or lazy to keep their pet pinned up. If this continually happened to me and the owner had been notified and had done nothing, I would have to say that I too would have to take the situation into my own hands and dispose of the dog.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:04 PM

These posts always get me pretty steamed. The info about the beagle laying at an outfitters lodge really pisses me off. I would've been looking for the SOB who did that and kicking his behind.

I was in Illinois this fall and had 3 dogs running a rabbit under my stand. The last thing on my mind was shooting them. Later that evening I saw them at a local farmers place.

I've heard folks around here talking about shooting dogs and I just can't fathom being that much of an a**hole. You can say that they're feral and no one's pet, but it sounds like horse dirt to me. No deer is worth shooting a domestic dog.

I have a beagle and I sometimes run her during bow season, as our small game season overlaps archery season. If someone ever makes the mistake of shooting her, they're will be a hefty price to pay. Not only will I put them in the hospital, but they'll be repaying me for her.

Be men guys, and watch what you do while you're in the woods. When we're hunting, we represent hunters everywhere.

Tyler
Old 12-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think were just about to beat this horse to death.
I agree.