Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting dogs

Old 12-04-2003, 01:08 PM

Default RE: shooting dogs

I can understand that a vet should get annoyed getting called out in the late pm to fix a wounded dog. It can't be compared to you calling the docter late if you are sick. If the MD is called late to deal with an accidental car wreck, that is his job and responsibility. If he has to repair some dipsh** who got drunk and rolled his car, he has a right to get annoyed. It's all a matter of responsibility.
As for a repeat offending dog, take care of the problem. After warning the owner take care of the dog. If he doesn't go quietly.....boom!
Old 12-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

No one or any thing has the right to chase deer on private property. Unfortunately I do not own any. But If I did and had problem animals to deal with. I would end the problem as soon as given a shot er I mean chance. By the way I love dogs, especially the ones who are well trained and obediant.I hate going pheasant hunting and listening to owners screaming and cursing at their dogs, as if the dog has no training whatso ever.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

tx cowboy,

since you enjoy jumping to conclusions, i'll inform you on a few facts, first my beagle does not leave the yard, she is an indoor dog with a fully fenced in (6ft) privacy fence, now if she did somehow leave the yard and begin to chase deer, say for a week and a hunter repeadily saw my dog (with a collar and indentification tags) chasing deer - fine be a jerk and shoot it, if that makes you feel better, but if someone ever shoots my dog in my yard, or after only being loose for less than 24 hours, you better believe there will be retaliation.

portable ladder
Old 12-04-2003, 02:12 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Davidmil & IL_BOW_MAN,

Here is an article from the Pike County Press. Please note the section I changed to bold text. And Steven Drone is the Pike County CPO. You can feel free to contact him throught the INDR Division of Law Enforcement should you have any questions about the incident.

Pike County Press

Deer kill up despite weather

The deer kill was up in Pike County for the first shot-gun season of the year, despite Sunday being a miserable cold, rainy day.

"They were down a little on Sunday" said Brad Poulter, of the IDNR. "The weather was a big factor in that."

Poulter said an abundance of standing corn could have also kept the numbers lower than expected. "It give's them more refuge area," he said.

The ratio of bucks to does was 61% bucks and 39% does. "That's about normal for the first season," said Conservation officer Steve Drone. "The second season it reverses. People are not as selective."

IDNR offials say the hunt was routine, no injuries, no unforseen calamities.

Drone said the Department wrote 106 tickets district wide and issued 98 warnings in the same area. The district includes Pike, Adams, Brown, Schulyer, Green, Hancock, and Scott Counties.

"I've hardly ever issued a ticket for an uplugged gun," said Drone. "The first day I wrote seven. I found one whole family - father, mother, son - without plugs in their guns."

Drone said other violations include uncased guns, loaded guns in vehicles, permits not signed, deer not tagged and blaze orange violations.

"A hunter must wear a blaze orange hat and vest with 400 inches of blaze orange at all times," said Drone. Alot of hunters like to take it off once they get to a deer stand and that's not allowed. "It's a safety issue."

Drone said most of the warnings were for unsigned permits. "It's just basic stuff", he said. "You have to sign your permit, you have to tag your deer as soon as you get it, you have to have your permits with you while you are in the fiield."

Drone said a local veteranarian has received 5 dogs who were wounded since the deer season began.

"One case was particulary heinous," said Drone. "I went to an outfitter's lodge and there were all these deer hung up on display and stretched out on the ground beside it was a beagle. There it was displayed like it was some kind of trophy. Everbody knows you can't shoot a dog."

Drone said the hunter, from PA, would be ticketed and so would the outfitter.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:35 PM

Shooting someone's pet dog. My God, what have we become. There are truly some sick people in this world. And they call themselves hunters, now that scares me.[&o]
Old 12-04-2003, 02:42 PM

i coon hunt hear in tennessee,and when it comes to deer season i never leave my dogs out in the woods.it is a big mistake ,i have had two dogs get killed by deer hunters.i have tracking collers on my coon hounds,one of my dogs got shot and we tracked the coller and we tracked the dog and it was bad ......one of my best coon hounds had got shot 3 times in the stomach dead as a rock.i found out who did it and it got nasty.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:48 PM

i had one dog stayed treed all night long into the morning,and when we was tracking i heard a shot........ i rushed a mile into the woods to see what happened,and my dog was dead wright next to the tree that my dog was treeing on,i looked up and there was 3 coons in the tree.makes me sick to see somebody shoot a dog.i can understand a famer shooting my hound if it was chasing his cattle or something but a deer hunter just shooting it .sad sad sad

go deep hunt hard.

Old 12-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Maryland, if you are caught and convicted, it is a felony (unless you are a gamewarden). Do you want to say good bye to your right to own firearms for the rest of your life?
Old 12-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Name says:
Shooting someone's pet dog. My God, what have we become. There are truly some sick people in this world. And they call themselves hunters, now that scares me.
In most states, and if I look I can find links again to prove it, if you see dogs chasing deer and call the DNR, they will come out and shoot the dogs themselves if they see it. Their job is to protect the wildlife and from what I've read in DNR articles, they have no qualms about killing a deer chasing dog, even if it's a pet. I guess you should be scared of what the DNR has become also then.

No one said anyone LIKED shooting dogs. I dread the thought of it. I also dread the thought of what it does to the deer. I think the life of many deer is more valuable than one dog who's owners don't really care about him.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I should have just kept my trap shut!!

But as I said earlier....I have never done it and don't plan on doing it any time soon.

But here lies my problem. Say I watch a dog continually run deer and the owner has been warned, something has to be done. I will first call the Dept. of Nat. Resources as it is against the law. But beings we can't hardly get an officer to show up on repeated calls of trespassing and shooting out of hours by the same guy year after year, I find it hard to believe they will come for a dog running deer. After 6 seasons, we finally got a DNR officer to check this guy out. 6 seasons.....3 years repeated calls by more than 1 person on each time.

Quick Reply: shooting dogs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.