Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting dogs

Old 12-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shooting dogs

I don't think I could ever. I've seen dogs while hunting. Never had one chase a deer away. I've even joked around about shooting them. Never could. It's not right. I don't care how many times the same dog "chases" your damn deer away. I have had guys walk in and chase off deer. Maybe I'll shoot the SOB next time right!!!!

Actually.....I'm pretty sure it's illegal to shoot a dog.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:24 PM

I do not know if someone already stated this, because i do not have to much time on my hands, but i think this is a topic that needs to be stoped, we are creating a divide between ourselves. We have already covered this topic about a lab who was shot in the head by a bow hunter and surived, i don't know if you guys remember that (it wasn't that long ago). And all of us including me argued to my hands where tired of typing. Some think we should kill dogs in the woods, some do not. It is obivous we can not decided on a adequite answer so lets move on and instead of bitching and yelling at each, lets help each other become better hunters.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 PM

hey guys, better use your real name for your logon ID or it automatically reveals you as a fake! oh yeah, and everybody who is new to the site, until you post a 100 messages or become a lifemember your "bogus". Sorry!

david, i dont post much because I spend my time hunting or with my family or at work. I just wanted to get other peoples opinions on something i have seen firsthand 1 too many times. I didnt know i was gonna open such a can of worms. check out my user profile, you can find out my name. judging by your post you and i are on the same side- we dont shoot dogs that arent harming anything or arent dangerous.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched it just this morning. Two deer left the woods and started across the pasture next to me. Immediately, my neighbor's 2 dogs started barking and began a pursuit. Two more deer showed up on a trail that would've led them past me, but they were watching the dogs chase the other deer. When the dogs came back, the deer near me thought they were next and went back quickly the way they came. Those two dogs search my side woods every morning and chase every deer they can. It's a game for them. I've talked to the owners about it, but it continues. I won't shoot them, but I can only take so much.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:46 PM

You'ld have to be one sick **** to kill somebodys dog. Just think of the pain you would be causing somebody. And think of the bad rapp you can give to hunters. Like the lab with the arrow through the head that was on the news.

But if it's a wild dog, go right ahead, heck I would kill a wild dog no problem but I own hunting dogs and if somebody were to kill one of my dogs, I would hurt them really badly. Most people here in Hawaii hunt with dogs for pigs and if someone were to kill one of there dogs, alot of people would kill that person in return. So watch out if you kill a dog, your gonna cause some humbug thaughts. Many people view there pet dogs similar to how you view your own children. Just think about that. That is how strong the bond between dog and owner can be.

So watch out. Shooting a pet dog is not a smart thing to do. You will only be causing trouble. The same goes with shooting pet cats.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

DaveH, I would say report these dogs to the DOC. Like I said earlier, it is illegal in Illinois for dogs to chase/harrass wildlife. So I would imagine it might be illegal in many other states. Video tape and take it in if they need proof.

Like many have said, I wouldn't do it for an occasional dog walking through the woods. But if it continually chases deer and the owner has been warned, well than it is either the DOC or me to take care of the problem. And as hard as it is to get a DOC officer to respond to our calls around here, it will more than likely be in my hands. I have never had to do and I don't plan on doing it any time soon, but if it happens...it happens.

Like I said in my earlier post, I have warned the neighbor about his dog. But that warning was basically right before slug season and slug season brings out some of the best killers in the woods....not necissarily hunters.

hey guys, better use your real name for your logon ID or it automatically reveals you as a fake! oh yeah, and everybody who is new to the site, until you post a 100 messages or become a lifemember your "bogus". Sorry!
dogdr, I will beat david to this one. When you have been around here as long as him or I, you will understand where he is coming from. There is always somebody coming in here, stirring the pot and then leave and never be heard from again. If you are for real, please stay and enjoy the sight and don't hold any grudges over on people from this topic. If you do, you might loose out on a chance to know some great people.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Many people view there pet dogs similar to how you view your own children.
Some of these must be the same people that let their kids run the streets with no parenting at all then. Come and go as they please and don't care if they show up for days then.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:46 AM

I understand what both sides of this arguement are saying. But, I would say that it is the owners fault if the dog is running all over PRIVATE land and not being controlled. Happens once-maybe twice- let it go. Tell the owner if you know him. Third time on my land BOOM! dead dog. The owner needs to control their dog and be responsable enough to keep track of that animal. If the dog is just wandering down the road, leave it alone. If it is killing or chasing animals - and you have seen this - it needs to be shot because it won't stop a habit once it has started and hasn't been disciplined-it doesn't know what it is doing is wrong. On public land, call the DNR and let them take care of it.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK, here I go again, getting into spomething that I probably shouldnt. But first let me tell you a little background first. When I was about 8, ( I am 36 now) I was attacked by a German Sheperd. I was standing on my friends steps outside his house petting the dog while they were in eating lunch. Well, the dog must have decided that he was hungry too so he jumped up and put his front legs around my head and put my whole head into his mouth, his top fangs were in my temple area and his bottom ones were on the other side of my face sticking thru my cheek and into my tonge, I was looking right down into his belly. He pushed me over the railing on the steps and never let go. He landed on top of me and started shaking my head around like a rag doll. The doctor told my mom that if his top fang was 1/8" over to 1 side, I would have died. So needless to say I am not real fond of some dogs. And to top that off, My wife is a vet tech, and if I did ever shoot a dog for any reason, I had better not come home.
Now, about 10 years ago, I was gun hunting with some friends of mine and we lost our hunting grounds so a friend of one of the guys that I was hunting with said we could hunt with him. Long story short shortly after I found a place to sit, this stray dog comes up and lays right by me , the whole time that I was there. He even walked out with me. When I came out of the woods, I had to cross this big grassy field. This guy that was a friend of my buddies starts screaming at me to shoot this dog. I told him no, he was doing nothig to bother me. Well, when I get up to him, he pulls out his hand gun and shoots the dog standing right next to me. He is lucky that I didnt put a slug into his ass! I left and told him that I would never hunt with him again.
Now, fast forward to this year, I am out bow hunting and 3 dogs from the guy next door come over and starts hanging around by my stand. One of them was a pitbull, one was a german shepard, and the other was a mut. They didnt stick around too long, but if they would have still been there when it was time for me to get down I would have had NO problem sticking them with an arrow, either one of them. Oh well, just thought that I would share my story. Sorry it got so long.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:32 PM

i got no problem shooting a dog if it's on my property screwing up my habitat. how about i make sure i put a good shot on the dog and kill it, rather than wounding it? that would make the job of being a vet. easier right? also, it is your job to get called in the middle of the night. you paid the money for the degree and knew, beforehand, that middle of the night calls are normal for a vet. get over it buddy...people shooting dogs, cats, running over animals, whatever it might be.... is what keeps a roof over your head.

Quick Reply: shooting dogs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.