Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting dogs

Old 12-03-2003, 10:31 AM

Default RE: shooting dogs

I have already had dogs run deer by me three times this year and I am getting a little agrivated with it. The area i have been hunting has alot of buck sign and I have seen 3 bucks in the area , but I am afraid to hunt there because 3 out of 5 times I have sat there the dogs have chased deer by me. The president of our club has told me to shoot the dogs , but I am kinda divided by the issue considering I have a dog myself. The dogs are not chained up and all of them have collars on their necks and I know where they live. If I did shoot them I would rather do it with a rifle instead of a bow. The fact of the quick death with a gun or 15$ dollar's in a broadhead and carbon arrow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now it's a matter of money?? wow!!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:53 AM

I have mixed feelings here.

1st. The dog has a built instinct to hunt! This should not be held against a dog. The owners of the dogs should be held responsible. They own the pet, it is their possession, and they should take responsability for it. Upon getting a pet, you have taken it upon yourself to care for the pet, feed it, water it, bath it, and protect it. Protecting the dog means keeping it on your property, away from the woods, where it shouldn't be. Sure, things happen, a dog accidently escapes and runs away, but, dogs that are repeatadly seen running deer, that is a different story.

2nd, I have seen what can happen with dogs that run free. Several years ago, there was a pack of wild dogs that were breeding with coyote's and these dogs were vicious. One night, I was woken up by the sound of my outside dog (who is always on a chain and NEVER gets free) being harrassed by a pack of these dogs. They were circling my dog, so, guess what my dad and I did, we shot as many of them as we could. A few months later, my neighbors called my dad because there 6 year olds daughter's rabbits were being attacked by this group of dogs. The rabbits were in a rabbit box which was inside a mesh fence area. Imagine seeing a 6 year old girl watching her pet rabbits being mauled by wild dogs. So, I can see taking care of a problem dog before the problem escalades.

Like I mentioned above, I am a pet owner, I have two dogs, a 16 year old Collie/Shepard mix, a 5 year old Boxer/Rotweiller mix, a cat, and tons of pet fish. I love animals, especially dogs. The thought of killing of a dog just disgusts me, but, seeing a dog become a problem that can hurt other wild animals, peoples pets, and humans.

I say that if their is a dog, that is a serious problem, one that can and/or will hurt humans and other animals, then, GET RID OF THE PROBLEM. I do not think that it is right for someone to see a dog that escaped for the first time ever, is chasing tweety birds on someone elses property, and just shoot it.

Try standing back, don't take sides of the dogs or the animals. Just look at the whole picture, and you will see that this isn't a cut dry thing, there are certain circumstances that have to be looked at in order to solve the problem.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tx, I appreciate the information.
Folks, I don't think anyone is talking about shooting anyone else's pet because he's roaming in the woods. One of my neighbors have small dogs that get out sometimes and the deer chase them more than vice a versa, kind of hilarious to watch.
I have been attacked by dogs without collars in the woods. they picked a bad time to do it. My friend was attacked by some coyote/dog crossbreeds and he spent two weeks in the hospital and tore his bow up fighting them off.
In my opionion, if your former pet has taken up with coyotes, I'll shoot him with a gun. If several of your pets are running together, I'll come to you first and after reading Tx's comments, I'll probably go to the wildlife boys next and if that doesn't work, theres' not much left to do but eliminate them.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:37 AM

dont chinese people eat dogs
Old 12-03-2003, 12:30 PM

This seems to be a pretty hot topic! Understandably so...one the one hand you've got man's best friend and the other you have one of the best ways to spend your time (let alone the Billions of $$$ that are spent every year).

With that being said, here are my 2 cents: I am a dog lover since birth and have my own that is like my family. IMO, it is the dog owner's RESPONSIBILITY (a very key word that many people tend to forget) to keep the dog from running wild.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen the report out of CO. about a pack of dogs (yes they were Pit Bulls) that killed a 40 year old woman who was going out to tend her horses (interesting post the other day on horse hunters hating bow hunters...wonder how they feel about dog owners?!?! []) Anyway, the owner of the dogs are now facing charges from a misdameanor to homicide.

Dog Owners: It is our RESPONSIBILITY to protect our best friends!!!!

Ok..that was more like 4 cents worth!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

if someone shot my beagle, they better hope i never find them, they might be pulling an arrow out of their own a$$ [:@]
Old 12-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rockytop, my thoughts exactly.

I think what people here need to understand is that I, nor most folks, are saying we are going to shoot every dog we see in the woods. It's not like that. Nor have I ever said that I won't try to locat the owners of the dog first. I don't think that is a requirement but it is a nice thing to do. I'm also not talking about Fluffy the puppy that got lose and is on a leisurly jog thru the woods. I'm talking about big dogs, chasing deer, repeat offenders and them doing it for hours a day every day. To those of you who value one dog over the health of an entire herd of animals......I don't know what to say. That is ridiculous. No one, especially me, has ever said we would delight in killing someone's pet. The fact is, like I've said, if the pet owner really cared about their dog they would make sure it stayed on their property.

B&C Wanna B says:
Some people cannot afford a radio collar
B&C, I'm sorry and no offense but I don't buy that for a second. I paid $69 for the underground radio fence at K-Mart and I spend many back breaking hours burying the tiny wire and making sure it worked properly. Sure it wasn't easy, that's one of the prices of being a responsible pet owner. I care enough about my neighbor's to keep my dog in my yard. If a person can't afford $69 to keep their pet in their yard, then they can't afford to have a dog. Dog food costs close to $20 per bag.

Portable Ladder says:
if someone shot my beagle, they better hope i never find them, they might be pulling an arrow out of their own a$$
Hmm, now there is the adittude of the type of pet owners we are dealing with. He doesn't care if his dog is on private property but if he gets on your land and you shoot him, he has no problem shooting YOU! Hmm, he'll threaten to shoot a person but not a dog? I cannot and will not attempt to debate people with that kind of rationale.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:39 PM

Until they start charging the owners of the dogs with tresspassing for letting them run free on other peoples property shooting them is the only way to directly take care of the problem. I have a farm and it is a problem every year and the dog owners don't care.

I will let them go once and notify the owner but not twice. It makes me sick to set in a stand and listen to dogs run deer and then see the deer run by tired and lost.

I never see YOTES running deer so take that it is natural crap a shove it. The dogs are bored and unsuppervised.

And YES I have a Lab and know where he is 24/7 and he is always under my control. If he did run away and run deer I would shoot him myself!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I think ya'll have been had by the "DogDr". I truly believe his is a bogus post. The guy has made two post in all his life on this board. He says he's a hunter etc etc.... but we've never seen him. I've never seen him anywhere else. He's either a fake or someone afraid to use his real handle/username. At any rate... the arguement has been round and round. In many states there are laws that determine what is right and wrong legally. Me, I see it as Little Billies dog and live with it. I also saw the other extreme when I lived in Georgia. We leased an 1800 acre chunk that had a small town dump on one corner of it. People were always dumping strays etc. They became quite wild. The local pig farmer came to us one day and ask for help with the dogs. They had hit his pig pen the night before and killed 40 small pigs. He was going to start poisoning and we started shooting. We shot 23 on the 1800 acres that year. The farmer got more than we did with his poison. That's an extreme situation, but that's what can happen if left unchecked. Control your dog. I won't shoot him but I'm not about to chastise the next guy for doing it if he's legal and owns the land. Since I don't I don't know who's dog is whos.

Quick Reply: shooting dogs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.