Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting dogs

Old 12-03-2003, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting dogs

I have a blue tick and a walker that TRACK deer but do not chase deer. I care for these dogs so I keep them on a lease when tracking an injured/wounded deer. I have no respect for deer dogs nor their owners if the dogs are running illegal on private land!
Old 12-03-2003, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that all precautions should be taken not to shoot a dog, and in no circumstances is OK to do so. That being said:

BUT, i am getting sick and tired of getting called in the middle of the night to work on somebodys dog that has been shot by a deer hunter
Hey everyone I know complains about their job, me included. Calling you in the middle of the night may be the only option a person may have to save their dog at that point. But if you hate it all that much then maybe its time to change jobs. Its always an option. Geez, I hope my Doctor doesn't feel the same way if I have a heart attack in an inconvenient time.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tx, I agree with you. I'm overrun with neigbors dogs running deer. When I see the dogs in my woods I go to the owner if I can find them and tell them, I might even do it twice. Most of the time that takes care of the problem. After that, I assume they don't care about their dogs.

Your dog has no right on my property. Your precious little pet is a natural killer and tormentor of wildlife. I'll bend over backwards to help you keep your pet alive if you care. But, if your not willing to put a little effort to keep your dog up, I'll help you out.

I don't own a dog because I like to view wildlife in my yard. I would love to have a dog but I sacrifice that so I can have accessibility to the wildlife and I don't want your dog in my yard either.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Lets shoot tresspassers and hunters as they are very detremental to the health of the heard. While we are at it lets shoot farmers who have unplanted land and then we can just kill everyone for eating the corn that could have been left for the deer. Then lets kill all teh other animals that are eating the deers food or moving in on their territory. ANd then we can kill all the neighboring deer that are feeding off your herds food too. MAn this could get time consuming and expensive, but the overall health of the heard is at stake.

I can feel your pain to an extent Cowboy but I would gladly go all year without a dear if it meant not killing a persons pet. Some people cannot afford a radio collar.

But it is a free country and I wont fault you for doing it. I am not and have never been in your situation but it just seems a bit ruthless to me.

Just out of curiosity, What makes the deer more important than the dog. THey are both following their natural instincts? Why is the deer an elevated species?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow!! I'm a little shocked at the replies. Come on guys. A domestic animal. It's not the dogs fault. Go after the owners or call some authorities. Dont' shoot the dogs. What about the kids back home when rover isn't coming back cause someone killed him cause they wanted a deer so bad. Fortunately I don't have this problem, but man I would never shoot a pet. JMO
Old 12-03-2003, 07:52 AM

i'd shoot someones dog if its not chasing deer, it shouldnt be out of its area in the first place, i completely agree with takeing responsibility and controlling your dog, i wont shoot it the first time, i'll have the owner contacted but after the first time and if it happens a second something has to be done, i've been chased by stupid dogs just riding my bike, but you better bet that i've got something flying that them whether its a limb or whatever, there is a time,certain thing, and place to be chasing stuff, not me,deer, or any other animals/people, its sad to find rover dead next to the road or in the woods, but keep the &$^( thing locked or pinned up and it wouldnt happen
Old 12-03-2003, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot the dog............................................... .
Old 12-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Hypocracy!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:19 AM

lets see if i can reply to everybody. Tex, I agree that if wild dogs are running they will chase deer and I have no problem with killling them. And if you are on your own property then it is a littl different story. the cases i am talking about are out of state hunters hunting on land leased by an outfitter. I have done the same to dogs chasing my cattle - but only after the third or fourth time, and only after i made every attempt to find the owners of the dog ( if it had one). Plus, I used a gun and made sure I killed them with one shot. As for dogs having that big of an effect on the deer population, I will have to look on the web because i am not sure I believe that- if domesticated dogs hurt them that much, why are there any deer left considering the coyote population that we have?? i guarantee they are better hunters than domesticated dogs. Yes, people should keep their dogs under control- my dog never leaves the yard, even when im not outside with him- but the ones i have seen are a beagle and 3 coondogs. all were by themselves when they were shot. i'd say the coondogs were tracking, not chasing. and if you are gonna tell me a beagle can keep up with a deer, much less run one down, your crazy.
As for being tired of getting called in the night, its not about getting called in- i accepted that part of the job a long time ago. its about getting called in for something that shouldnt happen in the first place. Again, your right that people should keep their dogs under control, but like somebody said, things happen. if dogs are harassing kids or other people it is a different story as well. but that is not whats going on here. i just think we should ask questions first and shoot later.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id say obey the law . In most states its against the law to shoot a dog with a colar on , but if its a lose dog with no colar running in a pack well use your own descrion . If Im on my lease and there is a pack of dogs thretning me , growling and sutch , I dont care if they have colars or not , some will not leave . The lease owner says kill all dogs , but Im not going to kill a dog with a colar on thats not thretning me . I have 3 dogs and love them very mutch , too mutch to let them run lose . Someone who lets their dog run lose , or on other pepoles property , does not care mutch for them .

Quick Reply: shooting dogs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.