Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Biggest problem in your state?

Old 12-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Biggest problem in your state?

In Missouri it's poaching... blatant, dangerous, in your face poaching... [:@]
Old 12-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Cougar we finally agree!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Terrible buck to doe ratio (my land is surrounded by public land), tresspassers, poachers, and an almost entirely night time rut the past 2 years.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PAhunter86

Biggest problem... hunting on sundays is illegal[:@]
YEAH!!![:@][:'(]

I don't want to open this age old can of worms, and I know I'm preaching to the choir... But, take a look around, man!!! We work hard M-F at our jobs, and like some of us, it's tough to take a day vacation during the week to hunt. So, then, when is our normal hunting day? SATURDAY - along with 9000 other folks out in the woods! Public WMA's are an absolute joke on Saturdays! Some of them can get almost dangerous! [&:][]

Opening up Sundays - even if just sunrise to 12:00 noon - would rightfully solve a lot of issues!

{....steps off soapbox}

Butch
Old 12-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just the way it goes--we go to the crab dance, then we'll have to walk in mud!!
The same thing goes on here in Canada, all that was mentioned in this post.
I've been hunting in the days when farmers were looking for hunters at the local pro shops. The deer were destroying their crops and they wanted all the help they could get---legally of course.
Then the un-ethical, disrespectful and uncaring surfaced and showed absolutely no regards for the land owners, causing these 'warm welcoming farmers' to lock their gates and deny all/most and sundry permission to hunt on their land.
I was left to hunt on mostly public land, dodging bullets and spending hours in dicussions, trying to resolve situations where we're not stepping on each other toes.
After a few years of doing this, I saw good reasons to buy my own land/farm.
Fortunately I was able to do this with much had work and sacrifice. But this hasn't stopped the problems either. Now when I'm away, truck tires not made by my truck patterns the land. I've installed gates and NO TRESPASSING signs--a few weeks after the signs were torn down.
I am mostly a bow hunter, I do use a gun for ducks & geese--and I'm not going to knock on anyone using a gun legally of course--but when sitting in the stand during the ARCHERY season ONLY, during the fading moments of the evening light, prime time, the heart begins to sound, the ears tuned for every sound (providing the wind is calm of course)--you're scanning from left to right waiting for what feels like the 'anytime now moment' and all of a sudden--- the REPORT from a SHOTGUN or RIFLE---'bang' and sometimes 'bang' again-- I can explain the fall!! It's like one moment you all the way to the top and seconds after you're all the way at the bottom. Archery season ONLY--yeah right!!
Many times Conservation Officers openly admit they're short of staff and can't be two places at one time...and yet even though they're VOLUNTEERS in hospitals, senior homes, schools, even for search & rescue operations, to name a few---why then don't they allow volunteers for the fair harvesting of wildgame.
I would become a volunteer overnight!
I believe in freedom of speech, I believe that everyone has their ways of doing things....but I don't believe in disrespect and disregard for others!!
Unfortunately when we try to 'protect ourselves' and 'defend our own rights' we un-intentionally create ENEMIES!!
I would love to have neighbors who have contributed to this post--then I'll live & hunt in 'heaven'.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly, it looks like most states have a lot of things in common. A lot of different opinions, yet the same, no matter where we're from.

Being from Pa. I think our biggest problem is just too much hunting pressure. Most of it in public hunting areas with too few deer. The bulk of the deer problem is on private land or that land too close to buidings to hunt.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:39 PM

Here in jersey its way to manyu guys shooting small buck. Especially during muzzleloader and shotgun seasons. Everyone wants the buck of a lifetime but noone lets the young ones walk. Of course there are a few that do. I am very big on the management on my turf and if you cant wait for a 2-3 year old deer your not hunting with me in my woods. In some zones it has to be 3 points on one side. I think they should do that more. Keep in intact for about 10 years or so.The zones that do it are already seeing a big improvement only in 3 years.Also there are alot of areas that are over run with does, im talking 10:1 ratios. My theory on this is open sunday hunting but doe's only. I think NJ has the longest hunting season. Bow hunting runs from Sept 6 untill Jan 31except sundays and christmas(fall,permit,winter, in that order) in most zones and in others goes to Feb15. 6 day shotgun/muzzleloader week in Dec, then 30 days permit on both in Jan. All seasons unlimited does and 1 buck per season (4 per year). Another thing that I personally dont like is bow runs right through shotgun week. You better hunt where you know and know where your hunting so you dont become another hunting accident. Other then that I feel NJ is a great state to hunt in because you can hunt deer 5 months out of the year and they are really trying to improve the bucks. If everyone would do their part and shoot a few does per year and let the year and a half old deer walk folks would be taking hunting trips here.JMO