Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DMAP? Control permit!

Old 12-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default DMAP? Control permit!

An older guy got a DMAP permit. Deer Management Assistance Program or Control permit for his land. Which must be over 2,000 acres in NC to qualify.

I am the only one allowed to hunt it. The permit allows him (or who he chooses) to kill 75 extra does this year.

Sounds easy huh? Prime area! Guess again. I have baited and baited to get these deer within range and have killed only 7. You can tell there are too many deer because they destroy his crops and the deer are of poor quality. (Small 75 - 100 lbs for a 3-4 year old doe.) The deer I kill on his land will be donated to Hunters for the Hungry this year. We are actually allowed to hunt at night spotlighting, however I can' t bring myself to do that. I have killed all these deer with my bow and it stays exciting, however the older guy is really wanting these animals killed to protect his crops. (They did over $25,000 worth of damage this year alone.) I told him I would rifle hunt to help eliminate the deer, but didn' t feel right about spotlighting the deer. He didn' t like that! He wants them dead. And Heaven help me if I told him I let the yearlings walk!!

What would ya' ll do?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:52 PM

Default RE: DMAP? Control permit!

It may seem tough at first, but I' d kill the deer for him. The hungry will benefit from the meat and the herd will benefit from being " culled" . The state wildlife departments regulate and monitor those DMAP programs and they know what they' re doing IMO. In fact I would be willing to spotlight/rifle hunt them and eliminate most all of the ones he wants killed pretty quickly. You could then continue to bow hunt for the challenge and fun. Besides, if you cooperate with him, you' ll benefit down the road by getting to keep exclusive hunting rights and the herd quality may start to improve. I do not see any ethical issues at all.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:55 PM

This is off the subject (Sorry farmcntry), but I have seen " IMO" in several threads.

What does " IMO" mean?

On the subject, I would have to agree with Toytaco. It sounds like a win/win if you can get paste spotlighting.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

scar - In My Opinion

I would help the guy out any way possible to thin the herd because as others have pointed out, you could be setting yourself up for a great future of hunting.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to help farmers with DMAP permits. I' d spotlight them and kill as many as I could. If you don' t he will find someone that will. Your going to help feed hungry people in the process, and you' ll actually help the herd.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:54 PM

Lock and Load sounds like you will be doing a great service to this man' s way of life and to help feeding the needy, not to mention the prospect of continued hunting on this land in the future! ....

P.S. I' m from the winston area in NC if ya need another hunter beit bow,slug or rifle lemme know
Old 12-02-2003, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. Ngtshade I would not mind some help but this guy is real picky about people on his land. I have a friend who is a Hunters Safety Educator and this land owner doesn' t even want him on his land!

The deer really do need thinning out. His land is surrounded by Hanging Rock State Park which can not be hunted and the deer are just crazy up there. He can' t even bush-hog without running over deer. I shot one with a rifle that was partial pybale on his hind legs and like I said the ' big' does are around 80 - 100 lbs and according to estimates from hunters more skilled than me, these does are around 3 -4 years old and should be a lot larger.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have access to an area with crop damage permits. During the seasons, you must use the weapon(s) that is in and hunt with-in legal hours and kill only unantlered deer--but they' re unlimited. When the season is over, you can hunt with whatever weapon you choose. It gets tough around fawn dropping time. I can' t bring myself to shoot does with fawns running next to them or does about ready to drop some. I leave that to those who can.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:09 AM

lol no worries ..... Farm we're hunting in each others back yards! i hunt over in madison just down the road from danbury. Take my kids to that park every year spring/summer. Good luck thinning em out and remember you're helping alot of people by controlling the deer population
Old 12-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ngtshade, I also hunt madison and walnut cove. Private land mostly.

I hunt around Pine Hall in madison.

Quick Reply: DMAP? Control permit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.