Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hello/Draw Length/ New Bow

Old 12-01-2003, 11:37 AM

Default Hello/Draw Length/ New Bow

Hello all,

I am searching to buy my first new/used bow and don' t know what draw length to be looking for. I curently use my fathers old right handed browing back-wards and it seems to fit my draw well but I was wondering if there is some sort of measuring system that I could aplly. Also, like I said I am looking for a new (new to me that is) bow. I am left handed and trying to spend less than $100 if at all possible. If you could help me out at all I would be greatful. I just want to be confidant when it counts..

Thanks,

Tim
Old 12-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hello/Draw Length/ New Bow

Check your local bow shop for draw length, they' ll hook you up.

You probably won' t get a bow for under $100.00

If you do let me know, I want 2 of them![8D]
Old 12-01-2003, 04:02 PM

Cant' do it for under $100, not a bow, sights, rests, releases, arrows, points, loops, peeps, leeches, stabilizer, wrist sling, target etc.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:04 PM
nub

Might find a $100 bow at a yard sale. I wouldn' t hold your breath tho. As for draw length, try the wingspan method. Stand facing a wall with the very tip of your fingers just touching a corner. Have an assistant place a mark where your other finger tip ends. Go ahead and stretch it on out there. Measure the distance from the corner to tip or tip to tip. Subtract 15" from this measurement and divide that total by 2.
Example- 73" reach minus 15" s = 58" . Divided by 2 = 29" draw.
Should get you close.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Follow nubs advice for the draw length or go to a pro shop and they will help you figure your correct draw length.
If you are serious you should save up your money and get yourself a quality new bow. GO TO A PRO SHOP, starting out on your own is like kicking yourself in the butt. They will give you good advice and will be sure that you will get everything that you need.
Good luck and do yourself a favor and save up your money and get a good bow!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:59 PM

I respectfully dissagree. Do go to a pro shop to get measured for draw length. Then buy a bow used in the paper, pawn shop or even on eBay. You will find one for $100. You will not however get totally equiped for that much, you need good arrows, practice tips and broadheads. You can shoot without a release, camo clothes, grunts and rattles, tree stands, scents, etc. A lot of deer have been harvested over the years, even today, without all the new fancy stuff. There is NOT however any shortcuts on practice. You better be very confident in your shooting abilities before going out to the woods to just injure a deer.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the board Tbyrnzy82!
Old 12-02-2003, 01:18 PM

Thanks For all the advise.. I think I'll try the wall trick for my draw and go from there. I have been looking on e-bay ect. for a bow it seems I may be able to get one under $100. But, as of yet... nope. Anyway thanks for the help. This site is incredible, I really respect people who are willing to help others out in doing things the right way..

Tim