Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you think of your DNR? This is what I would do if I were in Charge!!

Old 12-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default What do you think of your DNR? This is what I would do if I were in Charge!!

In Indiana, I would set the season up this way.
Effective every year across the entire state to eliminate confusion.

-Bow Season- (4 months) Sept. 15th through Jan. 15th

-Currently- Oct. 1st through Jan. 6th (3 months)

-Shot Gun- (9 days) 1st Saturday after Nov. 20th through the second Sunday after Nov. 20th.

-Currently- Nov. 15th through Nov. 30th (15 days)

-Muzzleloader- (9 days) 1st Saturday after Dec. 10th through the second Sunday after Dec. 10th.

-Currently- Dec. 6th through Dec. 21st (15 days)

I would allow a total of 2 does and 1 buck per year for all weapons combined.
In other words no more than 3 Deer can be shot per year.

A buck must have 4 points on at least one side to be legal. (1 inch is a point)

In specified counties of urban areas with over-population problems, 4 does and 1 buck per hunter.

What do you think? Would you elect me president of your DNR?
Old 12-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you think of your DNR? This is what I would do if I were in Charge!!

Well, from the outside looking in, I' d take all management control out of the hands of the policiticians and big money, and actually try letting the biologists manage the species.

I' d like to see a bow/gun hunter proficiency test, shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck, $5 doe only bow tags after you' ve purchased the either sex permit and bag limits based on the herd conditions in an area...
Old 12-01-2003, 11:58 AM

Default RE: What do you think of your DNR? This is what I would do if I were in Charge!!

No I would not elect you president of my DNR. Hehe I am kidding. In maryland bow season starts 15 Sept and doesnt end until 31 Jan. Also you can bow hunt during muzzleloader and shotgun seasons. Any deer killed during those seasons ( even with a bow ) counts towards firearms.

So, if you want my vote you gotta sweeten up the pot a little more.)

Dave
Old 12-01-2003, 12:09 PM

I think the Ohio DNR does a fine job. Could it be done better? It probably could, but if I was in their position and had to meet all of their objectives and do it with the budget they are given then I would probably do it the same. That' s my .02 on it.

TBO
Old 12-01-2003, 01:31 PM

Arizona Game & Fish does a pretty good job overall, especially with the state' s budget problems. From what I' ve seen, they do a good job keeping politics OUT of the mix, which is definitely beneficial.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Take politics out of the control process and let the real experts make the decisions.

In Illinois I would limit the archery tags to 2 combination tags instead of the unlimited amount of tags that are allowed now. I do like the 2 buck total per season limit that includes all weapons used.

God help us if they lengthen firearms season here......firearms hunters take plenty of deer and set new harvest records every year, but I think much of that is due to more firearms hunters getting more permits. Other than that I think they do a fair job here.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Illinois I would limit the archery tags to 2 combination tags instead of the unlimited amount of tags that are allowed now.
Cougar, this is why I posted set bag limits based on a given area. I' m in West Central IL, and we have so many does running around it isn' t even funny. I could shoot one every time out if I wanted to keep laying out the jack for more either sex permits, but as it is, most of my tag money would most probably go somewhere other than to the DNR...
Old 12-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have posed this to the DNR before. Their answer is its too much work and too much statisical data for individual areas to take care of....LMAO. I agree with your assumptions that our money goes elsewhere. At least in my area where is a game warden when you need one or what improvements have they made or do they contribute to my local state land.........none!