Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting during firearms season

Old 12-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting during firearms season

I' ve always bowhunted during the various muzzleloader season in MD--I took a nice buck during the first ML season. And about 2 years ago, I started carrying BOTH my gun and my bow during the firearms seasons so I would have both options available. THIS year, I decided to carry just my bow for all the gun seasons . . . and it cost me this morning.[:' (]

I couldn' t hunt opening morning because I couldn' t get off work and skipped the afternoon hunt because it featured featured 50 mph winds, so today was my first chance. I knew that my area had been hard hit by the gunners on the opener as it is every year, and the wind (which was non-existent on Sunday--a no-hunting day in my county) made it' s reappearance as soon as my foot hit the first step to my treestand this morning. I was guardedly optimistic, but by 7:45am had seen nothing that drew a breath--and had heard only 2 distant shots. At 7:50, I was looking towards where I had seen a nice 8 point 2 weeks earlier and thinking how I could have shot him easily with my gun. Then, I saw a deer . . . and another . . . and another . . . and so on until I had 6 standing there, broadside at 40 yards, unaware and feeding my way! They were all big does with a couple really huge for the area--bigger than a lot of the local bucks. With my gun, it would' ve been all over, but with my bow, the high winds and a few misplaced branches, I couldn' t chance it. My scent control rituals served me well for a long time, but they were almost directly downwind and eventually picked up enough scent that they decided to slowly walk back the way they came without offering me a shot.

I initially kicked myself for leaving the gun at home, but I know some of you also bowhunt exclusively and now I' m undecided. should I go back to taking both weapons . . . or stick with the bow and skip hunting with the long range weapons?
Old 12-01-2003, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Bowhunting during firearms season

Do what gives you the most satisfaction. If both do then by all means pack both weapons! There is no right or wrong.....do what makes you happy.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

What ever floats your boat.

I hunted with my bow last night,took a small buck. I wanted one of the does with him but it didn' t work out. I never thought about taking both out at once.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:01 AM

It goes both ways Dave. I took the gun out twice this year and killed 3, every one easily in bow range and kicking myself for taking the gun instead of the bow. If you' d have had the gun...they' d a walked right to ya and laid down and you' d wish you brought the bow

With a freezer full from the gun I can concentrate on the bigger bucks with the bow without pressure. Whatever fills the freezer.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:10 AM

It' s gun/muzzleloader/archery season in TN right now. I went out opening morning with a gun. Been back bowhunting ever since. Took my 2nd buck of the year this weekend with a bow. I' ve never fired a shot at a deer with my rifle.