Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spring bear hunt?

Old 12-01-2003, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default spring bear hunt?

I' ve asked the question before with no responses but I am hard headed and will try one moe time. I am planning a spring bear hunt to northern Manitoba. The time available to me starts the 23 of May for 3 weeks there after. I can only hunt one week. I have read some comments about breeding starting in June and being better for big bears while some say the first week is a better time to score. I have hunted 2 times during the first week of season and have only been able to take small bears. I really would like to take a good quality bear. Any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:13 AM

Default RE: spring bear hunt?

Ive never been to Manitoba, but went to Alaska, it seems that if you are early, not as many bears are out of their dens yet, but if your too late the early ones will have rubs and dont look nice. I think it will depend on the weather, if they have had a mild winter they may start coming out a week or two earlier but if its a bad spring they may stay in a little longer. Just a little something to think about, you may not have the opportunity to set the date at a later time but if you do, Id call about the weather in the area your hunting.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: spring bear hunt?

As a Canadian and a bear hunter that has did my own bear baits, it is a known fact that the more blackflies the better hunting. Now you never exsplained if your hunting baits or not , but I would say I would pick a week near the end of the season if your hunting baits. At the start of the season bears forge for food and a population can be higher at the start as every bear will hit a bait. If a dominate bear finds a bait over time and stays with it , it will fight off most smaller bears from the bait. He will tend the bait more regularly after time.

It can take a week to get a good bear, If you can stand it , do not ware bug repellent. Thick pants ,gloves, mask ,tape opening around the wrist where bugs can get in. Being still is another smart hint in Bear hunting. Hope this helps ya...BT