Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define irony (and trophy)

Old 12-02-2003, 07:36 AM

Default RE: Define irony (and trophy)

Just a couple of observations:

1. If big bucks are so rare where so live then why does your profile say you are from " Big Buck USA"
I put that profile together when I joined as a joke and I have tried 20 times to change it but it never changes in the threads. I go change my profile and it still says BIG BUCK USA when I post.

Maybe the mods can help me............so basically Silent it says Big Buck USA because I was being a tool when I filled it out.

Not that NY doesn' t have some big bucks.

2. that will probably be the last big buck that you will ever see on that property if you told everyone where you killed it. I guarantee you if that is the case then you will start seeing new tresspassing problems that you have never seen before. If I kill a thumper, (like yesterday) unless someone happens to pull up and see it in the back of the truck or catch it at the processor then no one is going to know and they certainly aren' t going to know where I was hunting.
It is state land and 2 guys walked up to see what I got when they saw me field dressing a deer..........they got on their Talkabouts and by the time I knew it every orange clad yahoo in the area was there to get a look at him.

There is no way the area could be hunted any more then it is now so unless people want to start sitting in each others lap I doubt things will change much...........besides everyone knows a deer like that is unheard of so sitting there next year won' t increase your chances any more then buying your lottery tickets at a store where you heard someone won last year.

There is not a mathematical formula to figure who' s trophy is the " most throphiest" .
I really wasn' t trying to start a pissing contest about who' s trophy was better......not at all. I do like the phrase...." most trophiest" though LOL

PS

Did you kill it with a bow or gun?
gun
Old 12-02-2003, 07:45 AM

I hate hearing people say... " there isnt any big bucks in my area" we used to think the same thing. Until we decided to start letting the little ones go.
Not even an option where I hunt. Way too many guys. If you let a young buck walk by you during gun season you are just giving him to someone else because if he' s up and walking......he won' t be for long. Pretending it isn' t true won' t make it so. I shot a 4 pt last year and when I dragged him out a truck full of guys drove down our road and stopped to come look at him. When they saw him they told me that he was the one they were chasing because they seen him crossing a field. Imagine that.......CHASING a 4 pt 1 1/2 yr old buck like it was made of gold or something. Letting a deer walk in my woods means you will hear a shot ring out in the next 15 minutes and you can watch someone else take him/her home.

It has been 5 eyars now and it is paying off in a very large way. I tell them, if you have little ones, if you didnt shoot them there would be big ones. I tell ya though it was hard passing up bucks for a while, but now just seeing them and knowing they have a chance at being someones trophy in a few years is real excitement.
When I have my own place with my own land I will be able to pass on some young deer........in the crazy fields of state land you have a better chance of teaching the details of the Kreb' s cycle then QDM.........just save yourself the time and bang your head against a rock at home.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:50 AM

Good job on the big buck! Let' s see some photo' s!!

Old 12-02-2003, 07:52 AM

The different challenges of that particular hunt or special things about the hunt or animal just makes the trophy more special.
Well said
Old 12-02-2003, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Harvesting a buck like yours in an area that very rarely produces them is probably tougher to do than killing a monster buck in some parts of Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, etc. And, accordingly, that trophy is going to be especially treasured by the hunter fortunate enough to kill it. The people in the immediate area are also aware of how rarely trophies of this type come around in those parts.

However, the true difference shows up when it is put up against the true monsters that exist and are taken annually across this country. I' ve been hoping all season to put my tag on a 140 class buck I' ve seen around here that beats every buck I' ve seen in the past 2 or 3 years. In my book, he' s the best there is--in MY AREA. In the trophy states I mentioned, he' d probably get passed while they waited for a big one.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the buck I haven't been around for the past few days.

As for the trophy thing...there are personal trophies that can be defined however one likes. And there are absolute trophies that are recognized by the vast majority people. Neither is any better than the other. However I do feel like calling everything a trophy, "cheapens" the meaning of it. Similar to you rather shooting a 140 buck, where they are unheard of as opposed to a 170 buck that is common.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:30 PM

atlasman,

i completley understand your theory and i agree. say you lived in a town were the ratio of men to women was exactly equal, but it had 98% ugly women and 2% beautiful women (kinda like west virgina, just kidding) and you were lucky enough to date one of the beautiful woman. she would definatly be a "trophy" in the sense your talking about. but, if you lived in a town that had 98% beautiful woman and 2% ugly woman, she would just be another pretty face. anyhow, congratulation on the kill. get him mounted and show him proudly.