Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

doI claim the buck?

Old 12-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: doI claim the buck?

Do whatever you want with the head and horns - why not, porcupines and possums will claim them if you don' t anyway. If I find a dead deer whether I took part in its death or not, I' m taking horns. May be looked at as the same thing as shed hunting. On claiming the buck and tallying him in on the broadhead post as your kill, no. Not to be a jerk but you didn' t finish the hunt (find him). I understand the circumstances and believe me, I' ve been there but you simply did not put a killing shot on him that was good enough to find him. Or, you didn' t track him good enough to find him. Sorry to be tough, but that' s the way I think about it.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, so what about this one guys... Shot a doe opening weekend of bow season. Shot her right at last legal light on Saturday night. Shot was a little back so I gathered my stuff and got out thinking she would bed down overnight and die. Came back Sunday morning tracked her for 200 yards or so to brush next to a creek. But the coyotes got to her before I did. NOthing left buy hide and bones. Does it count?
Old 12-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Lost meat is lost deer as far as I' m concerned. It' s just like another hunter finding it first and taking it home. In this case the coyotes were the other hunters. I might call it a kill, but I' m not tagging it.. horns or not. Although, I know many states will issue another tag if the meat is not in edible condition.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Titlest, Your not related to zaft are you?[&:]
Old 12-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it' s not in the truck going to the butchers, it' s a lost deer.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

NO