Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new to bowhunting...already got a bow, need some help

Old 11-30-2003, 12:34 PM

Default new to bowhunting...already got a bow, need some help

hey ya' ll...i got a bow that my grandpa gave me and i' m thinkin about takin up bowhunting. All the deer that i' ve seen on my land have been in bow range of me and the season lasts longer than gun, so i want to give it a shot. I need some help in tuning it, i guess...i don' t really know what that means. i know it needs sighting in, and it came with arrows, sights, broadheads, field tips, etc. and some other stuff in a ziploc baggy...can anyone give me some help in gettin started, sighting in, what i need and what i don' t, etc.?
Old 11-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new to bowhunting...already got a bow, need some help

Hey there... Welcome to bowhunting! It is a lot of fun and exciting, but can be a little frustrating at times.

The best people I have talked to about bows is Len in MD, ArthurP, JeffB, and countless others. They will give you answers to all the questions you have.

Anyway, please tell the group here more about the bow. What make is it, what is the draw weight, length, what are the arrows that it shoots, etc... That way the above mentioned people will have an accurate image of what the bow is and the best way to help you.

My own personal advice is to start out small. Get a target bag at Wal-Mart or somewhere that' s cheap. Prop it up in front of a huge tree or maybe a big dirt pile. Stand only about 10 yards away... Use the top pin in the sites, or perhaps just sight down the arrow shaft and let it fly. It takes patience and practice.

The general rule to sights in bows is:

If you shoot too high. Raise the sight pins a little higher.
If you shoot to the left. Move the sights to the left.
If you shoot to the right. Move the sights to the right.
If you shoot too low. Lower the sight pins down a bit.

Butch' s golden rule: NEVER shoot with the bottom pin when in a close area (i.e. a backyard). You will sail the arrow right up over the target bag to " destination unknown" !!! [] The most common setups with bow sight pins (like mine: Tru-Glo 3 pin sights), is top pin: 20 yards, middle pin: 30 yards, bottom pin: 40 yards.

Good luck and have fun!

Butch
Old 11-30-2003, 08:24 PM

butch - on the bow, it says pearson, and i know enough to know that' s who made it. on the back of the bow, it says Pulsar. the sticker says that the draw length is 28" and the weight is 40-60 lbs. it doesn' t have a silencer on it, and the arrows in the quiver are Easton Superlights. there' s some numbers on them that say XX75 and 2213.

i found some broadheads & field tips in the baggie and a ' light sight pin' - it takes 2 batteries and says its fiber optic...its made by cobra. i don' t know if any of this is good or not but any help would be better than none.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go into a Pro shop to make sure the bow fits you and get the weight checked so you know how many lbs. your pulling. Ask them for suggestions. Practice practice and then practice some more. Practice with your full hunting clothes on and practice from the same height your stands will be! Don' t even step foot in the woods until your shooting consistently! Keep your shots close! If your just starting there' ' s no reason to be shooting over 20 yards. Starting this late in the season is tough. You have all winter and next summer to practice get reaaly get dialed in for ' 04.

Good Luck......Its alot of fun!
Old 12-01-2003, 03:15 PM

hey thanks for the tips cloud...i' m bout to go shoot it. I' m kinda worried bout the string hittin my arm, cause i' ve had it happen with a smaller one and it hurt like a mug. i was younger then, too...but i don' t wanna take any chances.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

OneShot.....Thats just one thing of a hundred that can go wrong when you' re starting out. Practice is really important!!! If you occasionally hit your arm, make sure you practice with all your layers of hunting clothes on. If you hit your arm while hunting, your shot will go 8 to 9" low.....wounded deer or miss!

Good LUck!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:47 PM

i shot it today to see how it shoots and it did pretty good. My arrow rest is kinda weird, i can' t figure out where the arrow goes. I' ll try to put a pic of it on here, or a link to a pic, maybe ya' ll can help me. I hit all over my target though. No consistency except for maybe about 3 consecutive shots within a 4" radius. other than that, none. i gotta admit, it was a lot of fun.

i can' t get a pic of it right now, but i' ll get some pics of the bow on here soon
Old 12-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep at it. By the way, good arrows. I shoot XX75 2213's as well with 4-blade Muzzy fixed broadheads. 9 deer so far this year with it!!