Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Old 11-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Attacked by buck....what do you do?

I was just wondering if any of you have had or heard of an encounter with a buck that wanted to brawl? I ask this cause it almost happened to me during bow this season. I was still hunting one day. I succesfully stalked a buck to within 30 yards. At the last moment just before I was getting ready to draw, I was positioning myself and made a crunch noise. This got the bucks full attention!! he swung his head and gazed right at me for what seemed like forever. I remained motionless. It seemed like it was making him mad not being able to figure out what I was. Then he grunted 3 times at me and lowered his head. He stomped both feet on the ground and started heading towards me. I gotta be honest, this freaked me out. First time I' ve been in that situation. I figured before he got into a full charge, I best get up and let him know I' m the bad guy. So I did and he bolted off thank God. But it got me thinking. first, I wasn' t sure how to scare off a buck that was already in fight mode (I just got lucky on that one I guess). Secondly, what do you actually do if he does attack you??
Old 11-30-2003, 09:13 AM

Default RE: Attacked by buck....what do you do?

I was thinking about that this morning on my walk in. It was dark and theyve been seeing a big bruiser with some does about every morning thats been chasing off EVERYTHING that gets near his does. I guess id just find a tree, or run like a little girl. Or better yet, pull out the knife, jump on him and wrestle him down and kill him bare handed....no, running sounds better.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:19 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

I' ve read of wildlife photgraphers being killed by bucks during the rut.

David
Old 11-30-2003, 11:29 AM

Find the nearest tree and play ring around the rosey with him. Works for moose...I' ve had to do it twice as a kid growing up here. They give up after about 2 laps, you just need to keep your whits about you.

No trees? Stand your ground. Running away from any wild animal is useless. We had an old guy kill a brown bear up here with a knife a few years ago while being mauled. A whitetail shouldn' t be much worse. It just takes determination and balls.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:33 PM

It just takes determination and balls.
Big brass ones! Bad Bad angle for a shot (this will rile a few hunters)but I think I might have to fling one his way. If he is that close I would go for a neck spine shot. I would never take this shot from my tree but face to face, 10 yds, him pissed off and unpredictable....hmm. I guess I would have to be there and make a choice as to fight or flee.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:26 PM

If he' s charging there will be no time to draw and shoot a compound...Trad maybe

Since we are fantising here....I' d be grabbing two arrows from my Kwickee and stabbing like a mofo.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:39 PM

All this talks got me flustered. Tomorrow morning i' ll be walking into my stand with a 9 inch blade
Old 11-30-2003, 03:45 PM

if i had a buck chasing me,i will run around a tree and catch him off guard and then i will sphere the buck and then break its neck.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would probably whip out my .38 special snubby that I carry (yes, I have a Virginia CWP). The 2" barrel on that thing is only good and accurate out to about 5 or so yards.

Butch
Old 11-30-2003, 03:50 PM

once you stood up and let him know what you were, if the deer continued in your direction, start letting the arrows fly. if the animal hasnt changed direction or stopped by the time it was 5 yards from you and youve sunk a couple arrows in its forhead and neck, start to imagine yourself as sammy sosa and your bow is your bat. it cracks me up to hear these guys say they might run or they arnt sure if they would shoot and especially AKdoug' s story about the guy being mauled but still managed to kill the bear with a knife. if an animal of that magnitude gets within knife range of you and isnt bleeding yet, god help you if you dont have a backup plan! if you try and run, any animal in the woods is going to catch you. here is my approach on the above situation and any situation similar, ie.. deer/bear/coyote/snapping turtle/moose/elk/, gun/bow season, private property/public property, california/alaska/ohio/texas

if im hunting an animal and i see it in the woods im hunitng, im obviously going to kill it, thats the reason im hunting. if i see an animal that im not hunting, i will make my presence known, if the animal motions towards me in an aggressive manner i will give it one more chance with a yell or throw a stick or rock or soemthing jump in the air, wave my hands over my head. if the animal still doesnt get the hint, i will then proceed to empty my chamber/clip/quiver into the animals head/chest/neck until the animal changes its mind and does an about face or falls dead in front of me. i dont care what the rules and regs are, i dont care if the animal isnt in season, etc. what matters is that ill be able to walk into a court house to pay whatever fine i need to without a sucking chest wound or antler fragments lodged in my spine.

Quick Reply: Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.