Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Old 12-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Rack: It's all so wrong.

445: You could always back off 10 feet and put an arrow in him, but if I survived, I'd want the credit for taking it with a knife. Even if there is no category.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

This topic amazes me. I hope all of you people that are answering that you would run or don't know what you would do etc., don't ever try to bowhunt Grizzlies, but judging from your answers, I don't think there is any danger of that....lmao
Old 12-04-2003, 10:30 AM

To confirm lemond33's statement - there was a guy gored to death by his penned buck here in Bucks County a few years back. It was raised from a fawn and kept with all the other deer (including does). He had about a dozen of them penned together. Anyway, he went in at their normal feeding time during the rut and the buck let him have it. Antlers straight through the belly. The guy was 86 years old (or close to that). Makes you wonder if a pet can do that do you really want to tangle with a buck in his natural environment.

A few years back I visited him when he had a large eight-point albino in his pen. The pen was only about 150 feet by 200 feet (too small for all those deer). Later that year somebody poached the albino from his pen. They don't keep deer there since the killing of the old man.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:12 AM

Hey, don't discount the between the eyes shot. It can be deadly, although I wouldn't normally recommend it. This was posted on another site. Apparently the guy attempted a close frontal neck shot and unfortunately (for the deer) the deer tried to jump the string. Dropped like a rock.

Old 12-04-2003, 05:54 PM

if one got close enough, i would grab the horns and just start poking at its eyes. no idea what else i would do other than that!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

I think he would get a slug from my .38 special in the forehead. I don't leave home with out it on my hip when I go out in the woods. It is a pleasure to carry, and it makes me feel much safer when I am up at our cabin by myself.