Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you prefer for cold weather?

Old 11-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you prefer for cold weather?

Having moved up from down south, my cold weather clothes cosist of a few layers of thinner clothing. Just wonder what you prefer for the colder conditions; coveralls, coat, bibs, or what? I' ve been thinking about a heavy camo coat or possibly coveralls. I' ve always thought that coveralls were a little restictive when you need to move.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:51 PM

Default RE: What do you prefer for cold weather?

I use wool bibs and the wool parka. I' ve also used the Browning hydro fleece in the past it worked to keep myself warm but IMO whenever I moved around it made to much noise for my taste. I use the bibs for better movement(less constricting). Hope this gives you some ideas.

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]
Old 11-30-2003, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Layers are the key. A good pair of wicking style under wear to keep sweat away from your skin. Then a good pair of pants and heavy short. wool or fleece are perfect. I then like to have a good wind breaking layer on my upper body. I have a wool/windstoper sweater from cabelas that works great. I then like both bibs and coveralls. coveralls work best, but can be a bit restrictive, that' s why I buy one size larger than I really need. It allows freedom of movement. Bibs and a good parka are also excellent. Thinsulate is the word to look for here. It keeps you warm and without alot of bulk. Wear a good head cover with a scarf or gator to keep your head and neck warm. Wear good gloves and keep your hands in your pockets whenever possible. For footwear I like a pair of wicking style socks combined with a pair of heavy wool socks and a high quality boot with at least 1000 grams of thinsulate or a good pair of pack boots. Carry most of your clothes to the stand and dress on or near the stand to keep from sweating when walking in. follow these steps and you can stay warm for hours even on really cold days.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

yea , what 5 shot said.

The only thing I could add, is I love the " polartec fleece" no noie from that. and super warm.

As 5 shot said, I was personally suprised at how much warmer I stayed with just a good neck gaitor on, Mine is camy and fleece. I always did wear a hat but the gaitor seemed to hold in the warm body heat that you would lose up through your collar and such.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:42 AM

have to agree with 5 shot

wear a turtle neck to keep the draft out, full face mask tucked in, and plenty of hot hands with the kidney belt. I bought the lifetime guarentee socks from Bass pro, 88%merino wool, best socks i ever bought. Something that i learned from this site is to spray your feet with unscented antiperspirant, keeps your feet from sweating, it really worked for me and my cold feet. i also use a hand muff with a hot hands in it for my hands. hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:54 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Cotton Kills. I can' t emphasize that enough. Cotton absorbs water, pulls your body tempurature down and it will freeze like ice armor quickly (freezing to your flesh and causing injury) . if you are out in weather that goes below freezing you have the potential for a disaster you won' t survve if you are wearing cotton. I' m in Virginia so it doesn' t usually get that dreadfully cold. As it is right now I am wearing layers of thermal underwear pants, polypropolene top, then a shirt. I carry my coat drapd across the top of my stand so as not to get funky going to my spot. the weather is only getting down to the high 20' s and low 30' s at night right now. In the middle of the day I have to take the coat off. BUT next month and in January it' s gona be damned cold. There will be some days that it doesn' t get out of the teens. Not the below zero crazy stuff you guys up north have to deal with but I can relate to that also thanks to Uncle Sam. If I was going to be walkin around during day, I would wear less so as to keep from sweating but I would have a small backpack at the least that had some additional layers in it. I always carry one of those space blankets in my fanny pak. You never know when you or someone who is hunting with you is going te get hurt, get lost, get stranded by a freak storm or auto trouble. I reccomend that anyone who is planning to hunt, hike, camp or spend time in the wild spend time reading about survival skills. When you read about people who die in the woods, it' s almost invariably because they did the wrong thing and worsened their situation.

David
Old 11-30-2003, 11:48 AM

My hunting outfit for cold weather consists of: good pair of long boys, thermal socks, swamp stalker rubber boots(theres nothing better for cold weather),camo jeaned pants underneath fleece pants. Fleece shirt, topped with a heavy hoody, and then last but not least my coveralls. All camo is Mossy Oak. Every piece of camo I own is mossy oak.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I definately prefer to layer with thin materials. Much more comfortable to me.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Get yourself a pair of fleece lined camo jeans from wrangler. they' ll keep your butt/legs warm for sure. Wear them under a light set of camo bibs. An advantage of bibs is they come up over your front, this allows you to use a lighter jacket instaed of a big/burly parka that makes it hard to shoot with. I always use a hand muff to keep the fingers warm, Throw a shakable hand warmer in and your good to go. I also wear/recommend a pair of military bunny boots. good to -50 if need be. It was -8 here on turkey day morning, this outfit kept me roasty/toasty.Steve
Old 12-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

As with tazimna, insulated jeans are awesome, expecially with long underwear underneath. Bibs over that. Works very well. (You feel like a big cork trying to walk through the woods, but in 20-30 below wind chill, you stay warm!)

Also, socks are the key for me - wicking type sock liners with a pair of fleece lined neoprene socks over that. My feet stopped getting cold when I went to this setup.

Quick Reply: What do you prefer for cold weather?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.