Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you prefer for cold weather?

Old 12-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What do you prefer for cold weather?

Sept - Nov we hunt in shorts and t-shirts

Nov- Jan we have to break out the long pants and long sleeved shirts. Sometimes we wear a coat!
Old 12-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Dominant Buck

BIbs are definitely warmer... however I don' t use them. The under layers, your head and neck and your feet are the critical things. Buy 2 or 3 sets of high tech undies. I have about 6 sets in different weights, from very light just to wick persperation away in warmer weather, to very heavy and a couple sets of Smartwool. The normal high tech undies aren' t to pricy. Get some Thermax, polypropelene etcetc The Smartwool is great but very pricy. Buy your outer layers large enough to accomadate more layers. On a real cold day I' ll have 3 sets of long johns(including a smartwool set), a wool shirt, a wool outershirt, wool pants 2 pairs of socks, toe warmers, warm boots, gloves with liners, two balaclavas of different weight(outer one camo) and a hat. I may also have some hand warmers going. If you' re going to stay in the north you might as well start looking for a good wool outfit or two. I prefer two light or midweight wool shirts to one big bulky jacket. If it gets downright fridgid I' ll also throw on a wool vest or at least fleece. MY balaclavas come down and cover my neck and tuck into the turtle neck of my smart wool. Warm as toast most of the time.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:35 PM

Good wicking underwear, along with some bibs, I don' t like coveralls, they affect when I shoot, but layers too, I use underwear, then pants, then long sleeve shirt, then bibs, then a heavy jacket! Don' t forget the warm boots, and Hotpockets!
Old 12-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are giving great suggestions. The 3 things that I think make a big differance are 1 - one layer should be a turtleneck. 2 - A thin full face mask tucked into the turtleneck (cut out the face and cut around the ears) 3 - hot pockets ( dry chemical hand warmers ) one in each pocket, no need for gloves!

GoodLuck!
Old 12-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

I find coveralls very restrictive... and as for that restriction my harness is all I can take. I would advise getting layered camo. I got a decent priced ($80) redhead jacket earlier this year... the main insulation comes out and goes back in pretty easy. It' s been great, I' ve used them both ways in both types of weather and I' ve liked them. Personaly I have the most trouble with the top half of my body so I just got insulated matching bibs from Rocky Mountain. I' ve been happy!