Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Is Your Opinion On The Stealth Cams??

Old 11-29-2003, 05:31 PM

Default What Is Your Opinion On The Stealth Cams??

I am curious to see of those of you who have Stealth Cams what is your opinion on them? I currently have a Deer Cam and love it but would like to purchase a couple more for the up coming season and was looking at the Stealth Cam due to the low cost. The one thing that I have noticed that the Stealth Cam could improve on is the heat/motion sensor. Seems like I see a lot of Stealth Cam pictures where you can only see 1/2 the deer or the deer is in the far left or right corner of the picture. Seems like the heat/motion sensor is not aligned with the cameras field of view. With my Deer Cam the animal is almost always in the center of the photo. So over all how do you like the Stealth Cams?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Is Your Opinion On The Stealth Cams??

I just bought one myself. I have heard about the same problem and some folks are putting tape on each side of the sensor to rectify the problem.....dabow
Old 11-29-2003, 07:48 PM

Hankfan-
For the money...it is a good deal. I am referring to the $65 (or so) version.

I have had some slight problems with mine, but have enjoyed it as well. I have had a bit of a problem with film jamming...and some of my pics have had results as you mentioned. However, I have also had some great pics turn out too.

In reading your posts, I would assume you to be quite a serious hunter....and I will share with you something I have been debating with myself.

There are some new high quality digital models available. When you consider the money spent on film and developing, you can justify the high sticker price of these higher priced models.

Shell out $$$ now....or shell out $$$ later in developing and film purchase.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-29-2003, 07:58 PM

Ive had a trailtimer camera for four years and it started having problems this year after about 150 rolls of film, I bought a stealth cam to use while my other is being repaired, and have a lot of the results you mentioned, including a great buck that you can only see one side of his rack cause hes at the very edge and not centered. I also dont seem to get as many pics with it, sometimes I hang it up and dont get any pics at all. But for the money it is fine I guess. Im with springgobbler on the digital camera, and as soon as I can afford it Im buying the Cuddleback camera, it even has theft protection. It is 600.00 but ive spent way more than that on film and developing.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:03 PM

Springgobbler- You know I was thinking the very same thing. I have thought about buying a digital game cam. The only problem is I hunt public land and don' t know how well I would sleep at night knowing that I have $500 hanging on a tree. However with that said in the 4 years I have been hunting the (4) bow hunting only counties I have never saw another hunter in the woods (I guess other hunters don' t like the straight down 8 foot high laural thickets that I hunt). But it would save money in the long run plus I could see the pics on the spot without having to run to Wally World. Plus I am bad to set up my camera on a hot trail or scrape and get 3-5 pictures and I never can wait to use up the whole role of film so off I go to Wal-Mart with a 1/2 used role of film just to see what came buy. I guess I will have to wait until next season to see what comes out new in 2004.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had one of those 70 dollar cameras but it wouldnt manually rewind. so we sent it back to the company and they sent us a $130 model in return. i have never ever had any problem with deer half in the picture. i love my stealth cam. with the new one i captured a ten pointer i have never seen before.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

No complaints here. I have got pictures with half the deer. But I put the camera back out Thanksgiving day and added a small strip of black electrial tape to both sides and hopefully that will cure the problem. I would recommend them to anyone. For that cheap you get a good quality camera.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I first bought the Moultrie cam. Compared to others mines been pretty good. I wanted another so I purchased the $70 Stealth. I could tell right away it was better made. I did have problems on the first roll, but I was using cheap 800 speed film. I later learned a good quality 400 speed is best with the Stealths. Since I' ve had no problems. I did get a few picks of partial or no deer, but that was experimenting with taking 2 & 3 pics at each motion detection. The 1st pics of those 2 & 3 were perfect. I did manage to get 3 nice pics of a very nice 6pt buck w/ a basic 4pt frame. As he walked by, and away from the camera. I' ll probably purchase another one this spring, as I also use mine to catch trespassers on film!!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:01 PM

I will say that the stealth cams are great. I purchased a $70 camera and it would not rewind film and they also sent me a $130 back as mentioned above. These things are great starter cameras, and if you narrow the detection range with tape, function as well as any other camera out there. Gotta love those digital ones though!