Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunter safety ?

Old 11-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default hunter safety ?

I just read thru most of the post about the average age of hunters and was wondering how many of the people that started at an older age had to take a hunter safety course before they could hunt also curious as to how many people on this board have taken a hunter safety course
Old 11-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunter safety ?

I took shooting courses with bb guns when I was in grade school, then hunter' s safety course when I was 11.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took the course when I was 11yrs old and started hunting when I was 12.I was actualy considering a refresher course this year but didn' t get around to it.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took the course when I was 12.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have been hunting since i was 16. I am 42 and just took the hunter' s safety course this past summer with my 13 yr old son. We both enjoyed it!
Old 11-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

I took the course when I was 15 (1980). As I recall, it was six hours spread over two days. I took the bowhunting class about ten years later. That class was about 10 or 12 hours including field shooting, treestand safety, and a realistic tracking excercise.

Both classes were great, I remember and or use stuff I learned everytime I go hunting
Old 11-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I took the course at 14 in NY.....46 years ago.[] I lost my card and retook it last year... plus I teach the classes and bowhunter education. It' s a law here as it is in most states... you have to have it to get a license. I retook it so I' d have a card... even though I have an instructors card. Yes... I passed.[:-]
Old 11-28-2003, 07:17 PM

I took a " safe hunter" course when I was in the Boy Scouts back in 1971. It was NRA sponsored. When Oklahoma started having Hunter Safety courses, I was old enough not to need it, but my other course was accepted as having passed it. Kind of funny, they had me on file before I ever checked on it. I' m an instructor now and have a blast teaching all ages. If you were born prior to 1977, you don' t have to have the certification to hunt in Oklahoma. But I still have adults in my classes because they can use it for elk hunting in Colorado. It' s also recognized in all 50 states. There' s three ways to take our course. One, non-stop, 10 hour day. Or three classes that last 3 hrs and 20 minutes. Or part of it on-line, with some classroom. I haven' t done one of those yet. Most of the classes I teach have adults, teens, and pre-teens all taking the course. You' d be surprised how many kids outscore the adults. " hard to teach an old dog the right tricks" LOL
Old 11-28-2003, 07:57 PM

I took an all day " hunters safety" class that was required to buy a hunting license. It was fun, shot .22s and bows, had lunch, learned a lot. I was 11 or 12. Min age for bow lic in MI is 12, gun is 14. I' ll put my boys thru it for sure.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took it in my mid 20' s. Then I took it again when my first son was going to start hunting. I' ll be taking it again this year with my youngest son so he can get his license.

Quick Reply: hunter safety ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.