Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stirring the pot.....again. Penetration

Old 12-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Stirring the pot.....again. Penetration

What kills me Coug is how much KE gets thrown around this topic!
I know Lilhunter, I know. The proof is in the pudding, not on paper. Paper doesn't taste good. Give me a heavier shaft with moderate speed and a good hard hitting broadhead anyday, over a shaft leaving a vapor trail on a less than perfect hit. Why make less than a perfect shot? Cause it can happen!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Navy, there you have put your finger right on the source of the entire controversy. Your 3D rig is also your hunting rig. Same is true for a lot of others. So, for some years now we've had all kinds of people trying to find believeable reasons to rationalize shooting TARGET weight arrows for hunting.

They've done so well at it that they've managed to invent a whole new mythology with an incredible number of true believers.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:23 PM

This is kind of an entertaining thread. How many gun hunters say, "man if I down size my bullet then I will get a flatter trajectory and then I can hit a deer from 500 yards away!" NONE! Bigger can be better if done right.

TBO
Old 12-05-2003, 06:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is kind of an entertaining thread. How many gun hunters say, "man if I down size my bullet then I will get a flatter trajectory and then I can hit a deer from 500 yards away!" NONE!
Actually, that is percisely what I did when I gun hunted. The whole point to gun hunting for me was to know that if a deer gave me an open shot out to 400 yards, that he was going to die. Therefore, I shot at those distances a grest deal and I shot the smallest hottest shooting bullet out of my 06 that I could get.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:50 PM

Cougar your back on track. I think the latest myth in archery is that shooting a fast light arrow will automatically make you more accurate. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The anchor and release still have everything to do with accuracy... not how fast that arrow is going.. After all if a fast bow were really more accurate, why aren't all the bowtechs winning at my local 3d's??

I argree with ya, a heavier slower arrow is better all the way around. Come to think of it when I won a 3D event last year I shot a heavier arrow that day than I normally do. Gee's wonder why I didn't use them again?????