Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stirring the pot.....again. Penetration

Old 12-02-2003, 06:31 AM

Default RE: Stirring the pot.....again. Penetration

Do you shoot a compound ? If so , and that compound is above 45-50 pound YOU HAVE NO POWER/PENETRATION issues !!

Want proof ? I shot a 250 pound live weight KS whitetail with a 52# longbow, at 18 steps, with a 300 grain ICS Beman shaft and 125 gr Thunderheads and punched through both sides (425 gr total arrow weight) I think my KE was about 28 footpounds or something like that.

Shoot ' em with a well tuned arrow/broadhead, broadside, where you' re suppose to and you won' t have any problems. That said, I personally think the #1 thing with bows is a well tuned setup, #2 is putting the arrow where its suppose to go (tied to #1) and then #3 broadhead/arrow selection. Carbons do outpenetrate, for whatever reasons, they just do. I love ' em. I chose Thunderheads for my hunting this year because they fly perfect in my setup and the blades are gauranteed razor sharp - and they' re tough.

Old 12-02-2003, 06:41 AM

Well I shoot a real light arrow, and 100 spitfires, I shoot Carbons more for the durability, the Aluminums that I use to shoot were really weak, I don' t like many aluminums, so I shoot carbon, not ot mention the flatter trajectory! I have pretty good KE, but I am upgrading to a heavier Carbon for more KE!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:39 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Cougar,

Welcome to the wonderful world of momentum instead of Ke. Enjoy those heavy arrows. There' s a reason why folks who hunt tough critters swear by them.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:55 AM

I will add that I will be putting my weight tubes back into my carbons to bump the weight up to about 525 grains. Why ? I think my bow is quieter, maybe more KE/Momentum with a loss of trajectory but when shooting within 20 yards of my tree, it don' t matter anyway.

BTW, my arrows are probably going 165-170 fps
Old 12-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of misses come from misjudging range...
I' d agree with that. On the other hand, I don' t buy that as a reason to shoot light arrows. Too few are really working on their estimation skills. And we' ve got extremely accurate lazer rangefinders now. Do they get used or are they just another ornament hanging around the hunter' s neck?

Not to mention the bows that are capable of shooting a 500 grain arrow at 250+ fps! 20 years ago, we were lucky to hit 200 fps with that arrow weight, but venison was on the table anyway. I guess today' s hunters aren' t nearly as good as the old timers??

Shot placement is definitely the prime consideration, but stuff happens. IMO, adding some heft to arrows in order to get enough penetration to deal with those less than perfect hits makes a whole lot of sense.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Even going back heavier I can still use one pin up to 30 yards. I never had any problems judging yardage, 3D ranges helped in that regard.

Although I agree shot placement is the ultimate factor, we all know that once in a while a shot may not be perfect, especially at a live animal. Deer don't always stand still waiting for the arrow to hit or miss like a target. The way I see it, one or two extra inches of penetration may be the difference between a quick kill or a long trailing job on a less than perfect hit.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the major factor is shaft diamiter . Cant beat acc's , they will out penitrate 21 series shafts , which outpenitrate 22 series shafts , which out penitrate 23 series shafts exc . Put a deadly sharp magnus or stealfource 2 blade up front and you WILL shoot thru your deer . Eastons new axis shaft is what they call the ultimate hunting shaft and its the smallest diamiter of them all .
Old 12-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kills me Coug is how much KE gets thrown around this topic! This thread is no different..........[&o]
Old 12-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thundermug

" stirring the pot..." I think you need a bigger spoon!

OK..OK...the spoon is big enough!

Quick Reply: Stirring the pot.....again. Penetration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.