Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stirring the pot.....again. Penetration

Old 11-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stirring the pot.....again. Penetration

Well,
I did quite a bit of shooting this summer and fall. I already had some 2117 XX75 camo hunters and bought some Carbon Express Terminator carbon arrows. The Terminator' s are heavy for a carbon but a little lighter than the aluminum. The only thing that keeps me shooting them is that they shoot a little flatter and are either straight or broke.

But like the other guys have said, shoot whatever makes you the happiest! And besides, like the athlete Bo Jackson said in an interview, " A man can' t have too many arrows...it' s kind of like women and shoes...you just can' t explain it." [:-]

Old 11-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for bringing this up Cougar. Now that the season is winding down I was thinking about picking up some different arrows to try out during the off-season. I' m currently shooting Beman ICS Hunter shafts but the new Easton offerings are really looking good.

Old 11-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Two things turn me off the Terminators:

(1) Made in Korea

(2) The straightness factor of Terminators, according to Gametracker' s website........(.006)

Gonna see what kind of prices I can find on the Easton A/C Kinetics.............might scare me![]
Old 11-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Terminators are .006, Terminator Selects are .003.

Still made in Korea though.

Arrow Dynamics Traditionals are made in Kansas. 11 gr. per inch. Tapered shafts with signifcantly increased FOC due to the arrow being larger in the front. Tough as nails, and shoot broadheads as well as any arrow out there.

They can be a bit bizzare to tune with some rests, though. They are less expensive than A/C Kinetics, but they aren' t really cheap either.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

It still comes down to kinetic energy and a tuned bow. 100 grains of arrow weight has only a minor effect on the KE. Pull what you can comfortably and make sure your arrows fly true. Carbon or aluminum makes very little in this equation. I shoot carbon because as someone else said " they are wither straight or broke" . It is also important to shoot a stiff enough arrow.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:32 AM

I agree with Cougar on this subject as far as penetration, punch and hitting the deer with more energy. This could really help in a situation of a poor or marginal shot or at least I believe that it would be helpful. For example, I hit a buck in the shoulder blade this fall. There are several things I could change about my set-up, but if I were shooting a heavier arrow I think it would have punched through the shoulder blade. Maybe not with a 100 gr spitfire. I don' t know as much of this scietific stuff as a lot of you other guys on this site. I am planning on getting a Bowtech(Liberty or Extreme) in the offseason and ideally I would like to shoot a relatively heavy carbon arrow with 125 gr spitfire and get in the neighbohood of 280 fps? I think that would be a good set-up for killing big bucks out to 30 yards. I could be wrong or foolish to think I can achieve such a set-up but I will work on it and see what I come up with and keep everyone updated about it. Mostly, I agree with Cougar that a heavier arrow is the way to go!

TBO
Old 12-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Buckeye, I love the carbons for durability but......I have come to the conclusion that at 65 lbs., my setup is way too light. I have come into my conclusion:

Although I continue to kill deer, on a couple of less than perfect shots, the arrow didn' t penetrate as well as it would have with a heavier arrow. Not blaming the heads because I have used them for many years using heavier arrows and lighter arrows. My spine is fine, just not the punch I used to have. At 65 lbs., 410 grains is not for me. After recomputating what I want to go back too.....I am looking at somewhere around 60 to 120grains heavier, depending upon what shaft and broadhead weight I finally decide on. 100 grain broadhead has been good to me, but taking in other factors, I may opt to go back to 125.

Chronographs don' t interest me much.....my speed will still be around 250-260 or better......plenty of speed, a quieter bow, and I will have more than enough punch!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

" stirring the pot..." I think you need a bigger spoon!

I think I understand your desire to return to aluminums... I have been thinking of doing the same thing but for a different reason. The fatter shaft makes it easier to tune my rest. when ya have two prongs on a thin shaft I found it very difficult to obtain vane clearance.

When In shot 2216' s I had a plunger rest and had NO vane contact and could hit quarters all day long at 20 yards. I use a release. The Beman ICS camo 400' s were to thin to use the plunger so I bought a NAP quicktune. I can' t hit those quarters now.
Maybe I just need to hit the range and do some more adjusting, huh.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:37 AM

I made the switch this year my self.Switched from XX78 SSS 2315' s to Beman 400' s(non-camo).I have gotta say,,sweet shooters,thanks to my Wisker B.Just when I did' nt think it could get any better,,IT DID !!!!.I fletched up 3 shafts with 4" helical feathers.They are running around 14.8 FOC,with a 100 grn.bh.Man they are shooting GREAT.Last night I went over to the club to check out some differant broad heads.I could not get over how good they ALL flew.Hitting within an inch of my field tips.I shot Wasp BOSS,,Muzzy 3 blade,,Muzzy 4 blade,,T-heads-85 and 100' s,,Shockwaves,,Spitfires,,some old 4 blade,80grn.Wasps,,90grn.First cut 2blade,,,,VERY COOL " test" !!!.I could hit a base ball size kill zone at 25 yards with all of them,,,strange,,,but I LOVED IT
Old 12-02-2003, 06:27 AM

Placement is more important than penetration, and lighter arrows with their flatter trajectories make range estimation less critical- affording better shot placement. Lots of misses come from misjudging range, and anything I can do to minimize this, I will do.

For 0-30 yards I have one pin- thanks to my Carbon Express arrows and 100 grain tips. With Easton shafts, I would need two pins to 30 yards to make up for the 4-5" change in trajectory. If I think a moster buck is at 29 yards, and actually he' s at 34, light vs. heavy arrows could be the difference between a heart shot and a miss.

Quick Reply: Stirring the pot.....again. Penetration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.