Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed some light on this for me

Old 11-26-2003, 10:39 AM

Default Shed some light on this for me

The hit that took my buck down has me perplexed to say the least.

After skinning it last night I found out I did not even enter the rib cavity. He was hit about 1" from the bottom just behind the heart. The arrow went through the sternum - and maybe one blade reached just above it.

He bleed pretty darn good, going 150-200 yds tops. He never bedded and seemed to be on a slow trot to walk. Where we found him there was blood over a large area where he probably floped a bit. Coming out of his mouth and nose was thick white foam - no blood just a think clump of white foam.

I though thyrodic artery - but man did I hit low.

Anyone with a better knowledge of what I might of hit??

David??? Len??? You guys have shot 1000 deer, you had to of hit one way down

Thanks
Old 11-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shed some light on this for me

If you went through the sternum, you could' ve caught the very bottom of the lungs. Did you check them when you field dressed him?

I think most of the arteries actually exit the top of the heart, so I doubt that' s what happened.

You had to have clipped the lungs... that' s my best guesstimate
Old 11-26-2003, 10:56 AM

Thanks Range, I should have added this....

I took a real close look at both the heart and the lungs When I dressed him.

I am sure neither one of them where hit
Old 11-26-2003, 11:02 AM

you it a major artery,did his blood trail look like you dumped a 5 gallon bucket of paint,my guess is you hit a main artery,i' m glad you found him.nice buck to.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, then, I think he was aware of your reputation, you clipped him low and the blood was from a muscle hit, he ran scared because he knew you were on his trail, causing the cotton mouth foam, and finally died of a heart attack from fright...

You must' ve clipped some sort of secondary vein or artery, but I don' t have a clue what it would be called in that area.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:05 AM

No 5 gallon paint bucket - but a good med red color trail - easy to follow with some larger 7" by 5" puddles soaked into and under the leaves.

I am sure I hit some sort of artery but did not know of one that is that low

And on a side note - my 75 grain Jackhammers (mechanical) left a super entry and exit hole. They did a super job on a not so super hit. JFYI
Old 11-26-2003, 11:42 AM

I don' t know, but I can relate something equally strange. A friend of mine shot an 8pt two years ago, at about 10 yards. It was running, and he hit it right below the knee with a 30-06, the front leg. It died within 25 yards. I thought for sure we would find another bullet hole when skinning, but we didn' t. An incredible amount of blood. Wierd. The bullet went right down next to the leg bone. Yet I see deer all the time with the leg shot right off above the knee, that heal up just fine.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once set a trap for a mouse. Wife called me at work, she heard the trap go off and was scared to go into the kitchen. I went home, sure enough, mouse in trap. Only it was caught just above it' s hind foot. Mouse is dead, lying spread eagle on the floor. I picked the trap up, mouse stayed in the same position, full up in rigor mortis, only he' d just been trapped about 15 minutes ago...

Scared him to death Rack, that' s what I' d go with if I were you...
Old 11-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

My best friend from high school once shot a Bluebird in mid-air with half of a fishing rod used as a " Shotgun" .........no lie, I saw it.[] Power of suggestion!?

Anyway, I doubt you WILLED the deer to die Rack, but you hit something major........
There are only 3 things that can kill an animal as quickly as yours died ......exposure, disease etc. are another catgory, We' re talking trauma here, and that trauma has to involve one of these things:

1. Central Nervous System (Brain or Spinal Cord.......which in some cases leads to shock which actually causes death. (Actually all 3 of these can lead to shock which can be the actual cause of death.)
2. Major Organs (Lungs, Heart Kidneys Liver etc) You already stated none were involved so that leads you to only one conclusion...
3. Blood vessels.......Artery or Vein. You had to have hit a major vessel which in turn caused enough bleeding to make a very sleepy deer.[&o]
Old 11-26-2003, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just goes to show you how freaky bow hunting can be. Survive a single lung hit, but die when no major organs/arteries appear hit.

Quick Reply: Shed some light on this for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.