Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What weather scares you while hunting?

Old 11-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What weather scares you while hunting?

Tornados!!

I hate high winds while 25ft up in a tree! I don' t mind rain or snow!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winds over 20mph 20 feet off the ground. Ever looked directly down the trunk of the tree you' re in in high winds? That' s wild.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since I hunt from the ground, I don' t mind high winds. Tornadoes take first place with me. They terrify me, because I' ve been through several and don' t ever want to go through another. Second is lightning... especially with a quiver full of aluminum or carbon lightning rods hanging over my shoulder.[]
Old 11-26-2003, 10:42 AM

high wind and ice will keep me on the ground - other than that, hunt on!
Old 11-26-2003, 11:22 AM

Winds so high that you are hanging on to the tree praying for it to slow down, just a little, so that you can climb down safely, then kiss the ground and thank God that you made it there.

After gettting down, I either wonder " Why did I go up in the first place, or why did I wait so long to get down" .

This happened to me the last week of archery in PA. I had the heebie-jeebies for a while after that.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:08 PM
AK

Lightning/thunderstorms are the only thing that make me edgey...partly due to the lightning, but mostly due to the fact that any blood from a wounded deer would get washed away as quickly as it fell.

Since I love to stillhunt, I long for dampness, drizzle, and strong wind. This season I managed to kill a doe while stillhunting on the windiest day I ever remember hunting (50 mph). I remember stomping on fat sticks, kicking leaves, and humming a tune without being able to hear any of it over the roaring wind. I think the deer were more concerned with how the trees were laying sideways than with me, LOL.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

strong winds, lightening and heavy rain. The reason for the rain is that it will erase a blood trail and make recovery next to impossible.

Brian
Old 11-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightning, high winds and freezing rain---in that order.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Lightning and high winds. Even lightning in the distance signals me its time to leave.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:16 AM

Definitely high winds. Our farm got hit by a tornado this spring and it is amazing to see the devastation. On Sunday of 1st gun season this year, a huge front blew in just before light. Fortunately, I had gotten back on the ground before the strom blast hit, but my buddy was still 25 feet in the air. His tree blew over and hit the tree next to it, about 7-8 feet. He ended up bear-hugging his tree, his climber cut out and he slipped down about 4 feet. Needless to say, he emptied his drawers and climbed down. I' m guessing that the front edge of that storm had 50-60 mph winds.

Quick Reply: What weather scares you while hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.