Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks moving late morning/afternoon..

Old 11-25-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Bucks moving late morning/afternoon..

Lots of mature bucks (and smaller bucks I suspect) seem to get shot in late morning or early afternoon. Are they only moving because they are getting bumped by hunters comming and going from the woods? The all day sitter takes advantage of this of course. Would they be moving late morning/early afternoon with little to no hunting pressure? During the rut I can see this but how about just after the rut? I have never hunted then as most of my time is evening after work but would like to try it this year. Rut is pretty much over and supposedly the bucks are resting and re-gaining lost nourishment. How much daytime activity could I expect in an area with almost no pressure (a few scattered evening hunters only)?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:45 PM

Default RE: Bucks moving late morning/afternoon..

From what I understand, during the rut the bucks are scent checking around doe bedding areas. After the rut things get back to normal. Do you know when the second rut is supposed to hit in your area?

Here in MO the " Trolling" phase after the rut is from 24 Nov-28 Nov and the second estrus is supposed to begin 15 Dec.

I got that information from one of the magazines I just read. If anyone is interested I can look up which one it was. It was a pretty interesting stating the rut is predictable every year to within a day or two based on the 1st full moon in October or something like that. From there you can predict Pre-Rut, Rut, Trolling Phase, and 2nd Estrus.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:49 AM

How much daytime activity could I expect in an area with almost no pressure (a few scattered evening hunters only)?
If you are hunting the right areas you can expect enough to warrant a few of these hunts. Bucks will move around a good deal during odd times in and around there core daytime beds. Setting up between two of these areas or along the very edge of one can very well lead to a good deer poping his head out.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:13 AM

Hey rack buck I would like to find out about the second rut here in Iowa. If you could please give me info on the magazine it would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

lobi - the bruisers are in the resting phase in our area which leaves the lesser bucks a chance to scrounge for unbred does. Seeing smaller bucks this time of year should be common in a place with little to no pressure. Late rut will get going mid-December I imagine.

BTW, saw your post over on Midwest board you left a few days ago. Sorry I didn' t see it until now - you are right down the road from me. How funny. I' m SW of 23 & 59 not too far. That whole area we are in has produced many nice bucks year after year. Guys have been getting some brutes north of 59 and west of 23. Not sure about east of 23 over your way. Stop in Eagle Express party store on the south side of 59 just west of the old high school (about a mile west of 23). Ask for Sod or Robert - you' ll get a great deer report. Tell em Bob sent you in.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scar: What magazine did you read that in? Were the dates accurate this year? And what are the dates for the second rut in Illinois?