Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antlered Doe... believe it or not

Old 11-26-2003, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Antlered Doe... believe it or not

....friggin' David. I just spit coffee all over my desk....

Interesting story....I have heard of antlered does before but never in such detail. I would be interested to see the pics as well.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:56 AM

sounds like a few women running around up here in tidioute!!!
Old 11-27-2003, 06:28 AM

David- by " rudimentary" I meant that it was extremely small and not connected to a uterus... ie the deer had never been pregnant. I hope to get the pics for you guys early next week.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I meant that it was extremely small and not connected to a uterus
I still say there' s laws about investigating things to that degree.[] And Tell me.... just HOW did this doc determine " Extremely Small" . Yes sir, there' s laws against that.... except maybe in West Virginia.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

not as uncommon as you might think.

According to Dr. Leonard Lee Rue III, in " The Deer of North America" , (not word for word, but close)the highest recorded population was at Camp Wainwright in Alberta. Canada. The camp occupies 965 square miles. The hunts took place betwwn 1968 & 1982. In that time, 665 adult bucks and 517 does were harvested. Of the 517 does, 8 had velvety-covered antlers ranging in in lenght fomr 7/16 inch to 9 1/2 inches. A ratio of about 1 out of every 65 does. None had shed their velvet, and milk was obatined from them, showing that they were breeding females.

There are basically 3 categories of antlered does:

1) (most common) - antlers never harden, nor does velvet ever come off. Does usually lose most or all of their antlers due to freezing. Doe can breed and produce milk, and is a true female, but her femalel hormaones are usually not produced in sufficient amounts.

2) basically a male, but it' s sex oprgand are abnormal. Usually has both penis and vagina, but scrotum is not visible because the testicles are inside the body cavity. Never bears young. Antlers are like a typical males, often well developed with tines. The neck does not swell like a normal bucks would.

3)Very rare. It occurs when a tumor in the doe secretes male hormaones. Both male & female organs may be present, and the antlers may or may not complete their developement. Most often, they remain in velvet.

A hunter who shoots any antlered doe should immediatle contact his game department so that the deer and its reproductive organs can be saved and studied.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:27 PM

I think Hillary would grow antlers if she could. She hasBalls, doesn' t she?
Old 11-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lobi

I think Hillary would grow antlers if she could. She hasBalls, doesn' t she?

yeah, but they' re Bill' s, and she keeps them in her purse
Old 12-04-2003, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

....friggin' David. I just spit coffee all over my desk....

Interesting story....I have heard of antlered does before but never in such detail. I would be interested to see the pics as well.
That's nothing PABhunter, friggin' Dave just made me swallow some Grizzly fine cut natural smokeless juice. Now I can be assured that I have been thoroughly wormed thanks to David.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

This occurs more often than most of us think.

As a side note, there is a one anltered cow elk in my 700+ animal research herd. I could not determine whether this cow had ever been pregant, never saw her a calf. In three years I've never seen the antler when it wasn't in velvet.

Mature bull elk (without a harem) frequently pair up and mount each other, generally with one bull doing most of the mounting. I'm assuming the "mountor" is dominant over the "mountee." However, turnabout seems to be fair play with some of these "pairs" with the "mountee" becoming the "mountor."

Geez, that sounds bad. I hope I haven't offended any of those guys north of the border, especially those guys in the red coats. (I better leave this alone before it gets worse.) [&:]

I've never noticed penetration by these bulls. Mounting usually lasts no more than a minute. The pairs may spend hours together, I didn't keep check to see if they stayed together for more than a few hours.

I've got lots of interesting nd informative deer, elk, turkey, duck and goose biology/behavior and hunting techniques/tips on the "T.R.'s Tips" board if you guys are interested. Come on over and join us.

I'm not subscribing to this topic; I get enough "notifications" as it is. So, if you have questions or comments come on over, e-mail me direct, or send me a private message.

Good hunting and I hope you all have a Merry Xmas,

T.R.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:26 PM

i know of two antlered does taken in the same area i wonder if its coincidence or if its passed down. its also an area where there are alot of hybrid deer, mule deer and whitetails interbred.

Quick Reply: Antlered Doe... believe it or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.