Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is a hail mary justified?

Old 11-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When is a hail mary justified?

i would have done the samething.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' d have pulled out my knife and went predator style on him. Ok, I' m kidding, I would have did the same thing.

I saw a wounded doe on the opener of gun season. Less than half an hour after ' legal' shooting. I expected a hunter to come looking for her, it never happened. She was probably 180 yards away, way out of slug range. Plus, I didn' t have a doe tag for that area. It really had me thinking the rest of the hunt if she had been closer if I should have shot. I decided I' d shoot.

Oh, every time I' ve seen them kick after shooting they are hit. I' ve found every deer that gave the kick.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing. I would have done the same

Brian
Old 11-22-2003, 10:16 PM

You pretty much have 100% agreement here! You did the right thing. Like the previous post mentioned, don' t beat yourself up much on this one.

Sure hate to see that in the woods though!
Old 11-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was the right thing to do. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would have done the same thing without hesitation. Hope you find him.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:42 AM

You definitely did the right thing. I would have taken the shot also. I' ve never encountered a wounded deer before, but I' d never hesitate trying to put one out of it' s misery.

Thunder
Old 11-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Really just about anything you could have gone (gut shot, one lung, etc.) would have ended his life sooner. Not to make it sound REAL bad but, it' s better than not being able to run away from a pack ' yotes, right?

And even if 30 yds is out of your confidence range I would still think it' s a do-able shot even for someone who' s not confident in it.... I wouldn' t think it to be considered a " hail mary"
Old 11-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I' m sorry but I have to disagree. I can appreciate and understand your intentions and I don' t disrespect you or anyones feelings on this post and what they would do. It' s a tough thing to do. BUT!! I still firmly believe as it sounds you do that it has to be within my kill range. Hurt or not hurt when I let an arrow fly I' m sure the animal is going no further. A wounded deer at 40 yards to me has a good chance of being more wounded after I shoot at it. It' s heartbreaking to watch and let him pass and I would love to end his misery too, but on the other hand I wanna be sure his misery was ended and not added to. 100% kill or nothing. I know I' ll probably get blasted for this and I hope nobody gets the wrong impression of me but it' s just my opinion.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

I think you did the right thing too and i dont believe 30 yrds is a hail mary. Your trying to dispatch a deer that is wounded and suffering. He may, or may not be able to survive so yuo decide to take the 30 yrd shot as i would have. Hope you recover your deer.

NY bowhunter, no bashing is needed everyone is entitled to their opinion.

When one is in the woods hunting there is nobody there to tell you to take or not take a shot. That decision is made by the hunter and has to be lived with when done..........

Quick Reply: When is a hail mary justified?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.