Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

445 supermag' s deer was catch and release

Old 11-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default 445 supermag' s deer was catch and release

Well, I could have shot your deer 2 or 3 times this AM but everytime I got ready to I was positive something bigger with horns was just behind the next tree. First thing bright and early a very nice doe came my way. I got all turned and situated for the shot and she cooperated. Came right in and turned broadside at 22 yards. HOWEVER, she and the two with her were all nervous and jittery and kept looking down their back trail with nervous twitches. I watched them come for 80 or 90 yards and they didn' t take two steps without checking their backtrail. HE had to be on their trail....right? NOT!!! They fed by and circled around me 270 degrees and wandered off. OK, I' ll shoot the next doe. WEll she came along very shortly and bedded about 60 yards before she got to me. Then one came from the other direction but veered off 50 yards away. Then 6 came sprinting through the woods from the direction the others had come. Well, they' re really all nervous and checking their backtrail. OK, I know HE is surely coming now........ NOT!!!! Four wander by 35 yards away and two small ones come in and bed 15 yards away.[][] I hate that.... now you have to be extra still and move like a turtle. One is looking right my way and the other 180 degrees out. HE never showed up. The others bed down the hill 75 yards away. All does buttons and fawns. Now I want to get down but don' t want to screw up the tree by being busted in it. I threw my water bottle at one. I missed... he just chewed.[] I threw my saw. He chewed. I finally just waved and cleared my throat. They jumped up and jogged 25 yards and walked away. Lots of time left 445 Supermag. Mdbowhunter said he probably wouldn' t make it down this weekend. WE' ll get you some meat between now and Jan 31.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:21 AM

Default RE: 445 supermag' s deer was catch and release

Sounds like you' ve got all kinds of activity! I would kill for that kind of action!
Old 11-21-2003, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, well that' s a first. I' ve never had anyone ever say they had deer chew on their equipment.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeramy... my arm isn' t that good.... he was chewing his food. I was in a triple trunked tree and had to throw the bottle back behind the tree I was in. Missed him by 5 yards.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ooops, my mistake. I thought he chewed the bottle and saw that you threw at him.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

david--my action this AM was similar to yours, but a good many of the does had bucks with them. Most were dinks, one was a very nice, symetrical 6 point that was broadside and unaware at under 10 yards that I passed on. Ten minutes later a bruiser 8 point walked by just out of range--about 45 yards out. Even a little spike buck was following a tiny doe. Action continued until 10am or so when it got too hot. I stayed until a little after 11am, but the action was over. Since the car thermometer read 76 degrees at 1:00pm, I' m staying home this afternoon.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I don' t know where all the bucks were that should have been with these does. I really expected every gaggle of does would have a buck in tow. We' ve only shot 3 off this property and one of those was Sean' s youth hunt buck last week when I was in NY. Maybe the neighbors put the fear of GOD in them during the ML seasons. We have one problem I wish they' d take care of. There' s a big cornfield still standing about 1/2 mile from our woods. I' d be willing to bet it' s packed with wary old horned critters. There is a strip of woods that runs from our property all the way to it with a couple bulges in the woods. They left that dang corn last year until about gun time.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem with corn being left last year. It didn' t get cut until about this time and then there were deer everywhere. The trick is to be there while they are cutting it, or as soon after as possible. That fencerow would probably be a good bet then.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

It' s a lot wider than a fence row. It' s a strip of woods that gets 75 yards wide at times. We can' t hunt it... it' s Never Never Land. It doesn' t get hunted either.[:' (]