Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wow! Pope & Young just relaxed let-off rules!

Old 11-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wow! Pope & Young just relaxed let-off rules!

bogobble, I am still happy. See the smiley face?

Honestly, I have no problem with using 75% letoff, if thats what you like.

P&Y has just opened the door to 99% letoff bows. Crossbows will naturally come next.

More and more people will be forced to use crossbows in the near future also.

Why, you ask? Spend a season or two letting down with a 80-99% letoff bow....now say goodbye to your shoulders as you once knew them.

You seem to have an easy time throwing stones at guys who like the rules to stay put.

Tell all of us " purists" why you feel the need to shoot 75%, 80%. or more letoff? Is it your fragile construction? Exactly what reason do you have for doing that?

And if your reason is no more than personal preference....that is fine. Your opinion is every bit as important as mine.

BUT, why do people with your opinion think that a long established " PRIVATE" club should bend to your will?

Don`t like baseball.....try football, or badminton!

One more thing.....now that the rule has been changes to your satisfaction.....just how many trophys do you have that can be retroactively entered into the book, if you so desire?

This is a question that I would really, honestly, like an answer to. I mean, you are obviously so happy over this rule change, surely it is going to benefit you, right?

So what is the answer......just how many P&Y bucks do you have lined up on the wall?
Old 11-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Crossbows in Pope & Young? No way I hope! A bow is still defined as hand held and hand drawn........the crossbow does not qualify in this regard. The only thing that a crossbow has resembling to a bow is this......it propells an arrow, crossbolt, etc. via a string.

I have a question to indoor target shooters or those that know...........since I am not an indoor target shooter, what letoff do most prefer? Last I knew in my area, even with the long stabilizers, scopes, vbars, etc. almost all shot 50% bows then. I assume most shoot 60-65% still rather than a high letoff bow. There must be a good reason for this!

Old 11-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

doesn' t make me any difference about the ruling as I never see deer that big. LOL. oh well, i used to shoot a 80% let off but recently went to another bow and it was not offered in that so i bought a 65%. I think that whatever letoff you shoot is a very minimal factor when it comes to bowhunting because your still have to out beat the deers nose, get a big animal close enough to shoot, spend the time in the woods, pull your bow back, not get buck fever and shake like a squirrel eating a nut, don' t get target panach, etc. get the point. let off is just a minor factor when it comes to the grand scheme of things in the bowhuters world. I don' t and never will agree with the crossbow entries into p&y though. I think they should have there own category. who knows one day I may not be able to pull my bow back and be forced to use one. thats the wonderful thing about hunting is there is something for everyone. crossbow shooters, pistol shooters, traditional shooters, compound shooters, rifle hunters, muzzle loaders, etc. well, enough said this is just my 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

This is a question that I would really, honestly, like an answer to. I mean, you are obviously so happy over this rule change, surely it is going to benefit you, right?
no Big country, I ain' t really happy over the rule change, my post was not meant to be taken seriously, I was just pickin at you guys. as I' ve said before, it makes no difference to me what P/Y does, I doubt I' ll ever even kill a book buck, and if I did I would put it on my wall, not in a book.
and I doubt very seriously P/Y will ever let xbows in, and I' ve never even heard of a 99% letoff bow and doubt there will ever be one. I really don' t think P/Y will continue to allow higher letoff bows, but like i said, my book is the only one that counts to me.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, guess I`m too old to recognise funning!

There is already a 99% letoff bow. I have seen one at a club I belong to. The owner of it drew the bow, pointed it straight at the ground, and let go of the riser! It stayed at full draw. Just the weight of the bow was enough to keep it there.

Pretty sure it was called a Concept bow?

Don`t know if I will ever put one in the book either. Got 4 that would breeze in if I so desired. All taken fair and square.

I will continue to hunt my way regardless of what P&Y does in the future, but I feel that crossbows and pickups are only a matter of time now.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:11 AM

In the larger scheme of things, first.... I truly believe that manufacturers now dictate what we as archers will shoot and have to choose from.
Kind of a no brainer there considering the fact that most manufacturers only mad bows with 65% or less because of the P&Y rule. Some bows offered today don' t even come with less than 65% or can' t achieve it even with modules

2nd.........I also believe in the not so distant future, Pope & Young minimum standards of entering a buck into the book will be raised......perhaps rightly so!
I do agree with this. We as bowhunters have spent so much time questioning the ethics of gun hunters (if you don' t believe it just look at all the posts on this board) and demanding the same recognition as they get that we have failed to see that we are really contradicting ourselves in regards to the point system. Why, if equallity is demanded, is the minimum score for P&Y in the 120 class and the B&C is in the 170 class. Where is the truism in that?