Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wow! Pope & Young just relaxed let-off rules!

Old 11-21-2003, 04:59 PM
AK

Default RE: Wow! Pope & Young just relaxed let-off rules!

Do any of you feel that P&Y-listed game taken with accurests, 100% letoffs, crossbows, 500 fps arrows, shotgun-arrows...perhaps any weapon...represents game taken with " ARCHERY" equipment? Because as the bar is lowered, that' s the direction the entries are headed. I feel this ruling is a slap in the face to bowhunters and to their sport. [:' (]
Old 11-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

In a small sense it doesn' t faze me because I wil continue to shoot 65% or even less as anything more is uncomfortable and less accurate to shoot, at least for me. I really don' t understand the ideas of a high letoff bow being easier to shoot because they are not! They only allow the archer to hold at full draw a bit longer, but the draw weight still must be pulled at some point.[&:]

In the larger scheme of things, first.... I truly believe that manufacturers now dictate what we as archers will shoot and have to choose from.

2nd.........I also believe in the not so distant future, Pope & Young minimum standards of entering a buck into the book will be raised......perhaps rightly so!
Old 11-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

A ' bit longer' Coug??

Concept 99, 99% let-off. That leaves you holding 7/10ths of a pound at full draw for a 70 pound bow. Fer cripes sake, you could draw the bow, hook the string over your ear and have a smoke while you wait for something to come along!

At least you could draw it then hang the bow on a hook by the string cuz the bow itself certainly weighs a lot more than the holding weight. Might take some practice to learn how to get the bow into action from being hung like that, but it' d sure be possible. There are plenty enough nutcases calling themselves ' bowhunters' that there will be someone to try it and write an instruction manual.

A bit longer? LOL! Thank goodness for the asterisk!
Old 11-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC, Not sure about your reference. It' s early and I must have missed something.

Jim
Jim, I have not used traditional gear to hunt with for along time now. I have been bowhunting long enough to remember all of the arguements with P&Y when compounds were first allowed into the book.

The reason for my response to this is that I fear how much farther they will eventually go. What will be next? Crossbows? Or maybe pickup trucks like B&C allows.

Like ArthurP says, we fought our fight, we lost. Somebody had to win in this one. I will continue hunting with my 65% compound until I decide to go back to recurves.

Old 11-22-2003, 03:21 AM

Thanks BC. I hear you about the technology and where does P&Y go next.

For me, what the P&Y club does with their rules is of no consequence because I highly doubt that I would enter an animal anyway. If he' s on the wall...that' s good enough for me.

When I made my previous post, I was just coming at it from a sign of the times angle. The harsh reality of it is if P&Y didn' t change they would become less and less significant in the archery world as more " book" size bucks fall each year that can' t/couldn' t be entered.

Jim
Old 11-22-2003, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to stir the pot a little, I believe that P&Y should simply list the score, hunters name and type of weapon...compound, traditional or crossbow. There, I said it and I' m glad!
Old 11-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just to stir the pot a little, I believe that P&Y should simply list the score, hunters name and type of weapon...compound, traditional or crossbow. There, I said it and I' m glad!
Steve, your right, if they are going to segregate, might as well list the weapon and the letoff.....would give interesting data on weapon choices of today' s archers....our little poll here indicated the majority still shoots 65%, at least majority in one class of letoff, overall the majority still shoots 70% and under.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

AK, you speak of lowering the bar... People will work twice as hard to get the bar lowered to their level than the amount of work it would take them to achieve the standard in the first place. It' s not politically correct any more to hold yourself to a higher standard and dedicate yourself to achieving excellence. Such people are called ' elitists' now.

Remember when we were called ' bowhunters' instead?

Unfortunately, when it comes to the crossbow or accurest, I' m afraid P&Y no longer can take an effective leadership role in opposition to that stuff. Where' s the credibility? A 100% letoff compound with an asterisk is fine, but a crossbow isn' t?

Old 11-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

That change was due. Sorry for you purests but it was needed.
totally agree. like you 65%' ers say. ya' ll can just keep shootin your 65%, and still be happy, and all of us that shoot over 65% can be happy to.
why can' t you guys just accept the new rule and be happy? what are you " purest" goin to do, protest the decision?[8D]
Old 11-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

At least we ' purists' understand the concept of good spelling and capitalization. LOL

Quick Reply: Wow! Pope & Young just relaxed let-off rules!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.