Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you do with the guts?

Old 11-22-2003, 03:34 PM

Default RE: What do you do with the guts?

Eat half and leave half where it drops.[:-] I don' t believe deer pay attention to where other deer have fell. I' ve seen them step right over old gut piles and not even bat an eye. But don' t leave that liver or heart, nothing better then venison liver sauteed with bacon & onion, or a good heart sandwich to get your' s pumping.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Cut it up nicely in squares and wrap it up real nice w/ some holiday gift wrap, place a bow on it, no sense wasting good holiday gifts on critters. Excellent gift for your boss.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:11 AM

I don' t usually gut a deer out unless I' m not going back to the same hunting spot. My reasoning is, leaving a gut pile will invite dogs, or some other kind of predator-type animal into the region. I' m sure the deer can smell those predators, or will steer clear of a noisy predator feeding.

I' ve killed two deer this year and have dragged them whole out of the woods, and gutted them out only when they were hanging in my shed. Buried the entrails, skin, etc in my garden. Garden is fenced in all the way around to keep the dogs, etc out.

If the deer is too big for me to drag alone, I' ll get help first, or field dress it as a last resort.

I just like being able to go back to a hunting spot knowing there has been as little disturbance there as possible.

Thunder
Old 11-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a good point Thunder. We drag them out whole and do the deed in the shed. Sorry guys but I can' t make myself eat the heart and liver. There is too much good meat on a deer to eat the organs. And some of ya' ll joke about eating the guts but I have had people ask me for the entrails to eat. [X(] I polietly told them ' no.' (This is the same " sweet old lady" who brought me steamed possum when I was sick with the flu. How nice to open a wrapped plate and find a raw-looking possum leg with some greens.) Needless to say I hollared for RALPH!