Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your opinion wanted on my setup.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:26 AM

Default Your opinion wanted on my setup.

I shoot a Mathews FX, 27 inch draw, 60lbs. My arrows are 3555 goldtip hunters, ~28 inches long, 75 grain tip. Arrow weight is 320 grains. I am not sure of my speed or KE.

I shoot straight fleching, and plan on hunting whitetail with 75 grain 3 blade Muzzys, 1 inch cutting dia. I tune my broad heads perfectly, so they fly true. I havn' t been able to shoot the broad heads yet, and wont be able to for a few weeks, so I don' t know how they are flying.

Do you guys think this setup will work. The local archery shop thinks so, has no problem shooting broadheads with strait fletchings. I think everything will work, except the fletchings. Thanks for any input.
steve
Old 11-19-2003, 11:50 AM

Default RE: Your opinion wanted on my setup.

I believe this is a great setup. You can never go wrong with a Mathews. You may want to shoot a heavier broadhead, but thats just me!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:09 PM

You really need to shoot those broadheads to make sure they like you' re setup - absolutely crucial to do that or you' ll post here 3 weeks from now on how you shot at a monster 12 point and your heads flew different than your field points and ... well, you get the picture
Old 11-19-2003, 12:25 PM

Oh don' t worry about that. I will defintly shoot my broadheads as soon as I get home. If there is something wrong, I will still have enough time to correct.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-19-2003, 12:30 PM

75 grains with 1 inch cutting diameter is just fine.

Not too long ago 125 grns didnt have that much diameter.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:29 PM

Navy.

That is what one archery shop set me up with. The guy that I went to yesterday uses the 5575, but says the 3555' s will work. If I buy new arrows I will probably get the 5575' s.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:38 PM

The shaft weight seems heavy compared to only a 75 grain broadhead. Make sure the arrow isn' t too light in the front or it will not track well. Paper tuning with the broadheads should eliminate this possibility. Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:42 PM

Oh I see what your saying as far as the weight. My bad. I havent been around the new arrows and didnt recognize the numbers so I wasnt aware he had a heavy arrow/light broadhead.

Yes this " can" effect arrow flight and tuning your bow will definetly help. Although I wouldnt paper tune it, I would do what we called " group tuning" it. If you know what your doing anyone can manipulate the paper but group tuning is by far better in my experience.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I would consider doing is going with Muzzy 90gr heads. Other than that I think it' s a good setup.

Quick Reply: Your opinion wanted on my setup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.