Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your opinion wanted on my setup.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:59 PM

Default RE: Your opinion wanted on my setup.

I might have some 90 grains at home that I was thinking about throwing on.

What about the straight fletchings?

Do you guys think that will be allright. I guess I will find out when I shoot the broadheads, but that wont be for a few weeks yet. I am in college, and don' t have a target or anywhere to shoot broadheads.

Thanks again.
steve
Old 11-19-2003, 03:03 PM

Kevin.

What is group tuning? Is it just grouping?

I had by bow tuned yesterday, and the guy also suggested that I didn' t worry about paper tuning. I am going to go shoot my bow today and see how its doing now.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:09 PM

The balancing point is about 2 inches in front of center with field tips, so it should be a little more with broadheads.

Where should the balancing point be? Or doesn' t it really matter?
Old 11-19-2003, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would want at least straight-offset vanes for open-bladed broadheads, even ones as small as 75 gr. Muzzys. If you can get them to come off the bow perfectly straight, you may be OK with just straight fletch. I just think some offset will help when you get a less than perfect release.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:22 PM

If you are shooting 3555 (35lbs - 55lbs) you are under spined. I had that problem.
My bow was set at 53# and the 3555s shot real well. When I cranked my bow up to 60# my groupings got real eratic. People on this board convinced me to go back to 53 # and my groups got tight again. My next doz of arrows will be 5575 and I' m gonna crank it back up again.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:16 PM

your setup seems fine. Practice and adjust from there
Old 11-19-2003, 07:42 PM

Tabby

Regardless of what the guy says at the bow shop I would paper tune no matter what! Do it for your peace of mind, at least you will know if your shooting bullet holes or not.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:47 PM

I shot a little tonight, and was shooting really nicely. Got the 10 ring most of the time.

According to the sheet, I am shooting the right arrow, but it is border lined.

Now to see how the broadheads are flying.

I shot through some paper, and It is tearing to the left about an inch, and down about a 1/4.
But the arrows are flying true, and I am not going to mess with it. Now all I have to do is connect with a buck in the cold.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

I have the FX with the minimax 28 " and 66-67 lbs. The 5575s were slightly underspined the 7595' s fly great. I think that if you weigh those arrows you' ll find that you' re real close to 5 grains /lb, that would be one concern. The second is that you' ll be slighty underspined with the 3355' s. Maybe with the smaller prolife of the 75 grain head you can get away with it. I' d probably keep the 3355' s for 3-d and think about goiong with some 5575' s for hunting. I wouldn' t go to a heavier head on the 3355' s. Your FOC should be around 10% which should be fine and if you go heavier on the point the spine will surely be weak.

Let us know how the broadheads tune for you on the 3355' s.

I too would go with a helical or offset at least.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:57 AM

Goldtips tend to spine lighter then their charts show, in my experience. A weak spine combined with a light head, is not a good combination in my opinion. However, if it works, that' s all matters. With your set-up, I' d be shooting the 5575s with at least 100 grain head, and most likely a 125.

Quick Reply: Your opinion wanted on my setup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.