Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snow storm on the way...when to hunt?

Old 11-18-2003, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Snow storm on the way...when to hunt?

It looks like we are in for major snow storm this weekend. Right now the storm is forecast to hit Thursday or Friday and last through Sunday. With a foot of snow and 40+ mph winds possible, it certainly doesn' t look good for hunting[:' (]. The rut is a little late this year and it should be really picking up this weekend. What effects will this snow storm have on the rut?

I' m going to try to get Thursday or Monday or Tuesday off from work. Do you think I should hunt immediately before after the storm hits? There' s nothing I love more than hunting in fresh snow [8D], so I' m thinking of trying to get out Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully the deer will still be rutting and on the move.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snow storm on the way...when to hunt?

Hey if you got a good storm on the way Hunt just before it as the deer will move in antisipation of the upcoming storm. Then hunt just after the storm is over as the deer will need to feed and drink and move around again to keep warm. Good luck

Brian
Old 11-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snow storm on the way...when to hunt?

I agree, take advantage!! The day before the storm and just before it starts are going to be dynamite! Also, hunt in the storm provided its not very windy. I good snow gets the deer really moving. But, once you have a good foot on the ground concentrate on heavy cover, especially where the pines are. Deer seem to hole up in there until the snow ends. The snow isn' t as deep.