Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What' s the closest you ever got to a deer while hunting?

Old 11-18-2003, 02:16 PM

Default RE: What' s the closest you ever got to a deer while hunting?

I was walking to camp from my stand when I heard some deer rustlin the leaves over the next ridge. Quickly i realized they were coming right at me. I got off the trail and laid down in the brush. I thought they' d never know I was there. Well they did. Three deer were within 10 feet of me and stopped. They stomped and stomped trying to get me to move. This lasted 2-3 minutes. Then one circled down wind about 3 ft away, gotta good nosefull and that was that.

I was awakened by a doe nudging me on the shoulder with her nose to see what I was. It startled me and I jumped and the doe almost did a backflip.
LOL....If that happened to me the next thing I would remember is the Doctor yelling " CLEAR!"
Old 11-18-2003, 02:17 PM

I' m pittiful!!! 30 yards!!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

I had 2 doe' s standing 10 feet in front of me and my bow was on the ground.
I could do nothing more than sitting still and blaming myself for falling asleep.
The deer spooked me from a little nap.[:' (]
Old 11-18-2003, 02:57 PM

I took my two year old daughter for a walk through the woods behind my house on Labor Day. We heard what sounded like a steamroller coming through the woods so I knelt down and pulled her close to me. We see a herd of deer coming right at us with a small doe in the lead. She got ten feet from us going full tilt and slammed on the brakes on the wet leaves and did a 360 circle. She stopped with her nose about 10 inches from my daughter' s nose. I could see the deer trembling and staring directly into my daughter' s eyes. I could feel my daughter trembling. Both stopped trembling at the same time and I could see my daughter smiling. The doe walked off quietly. The rest of the herd followed and stopped one by one about 6 feet from us - including an enormous 10 pointer. We watched as he worked quickly to find us. His head swiveled slower and slower until he was looking right at us. We could hear him breathing. He too walked off slowly. In all 17 deer (eight bucks with at least 6 points) did this over a two minute period. My daughter asks at least once a week if we can go for another walk through the woods. And, each day when I get home from work she tells me if she saw any deer today. It' s great having a child that loves deer as much as me!
Old 11-18-2003, 03:08 PM
AK

I' ve stillhunted inside of 20 yds to many deer. Stalked a few within that range, too. The closest stalk I pulled was 7 yds to a bedded doe, but I missed when my arrow struck one of the umpteen buttonbush shoots growing up just in front of where she was bedded. [>:] When still on the ground, several have come within spitting distance; a few within an arm' s length. A doe once jumped over my head as I crouched down on the edge of a thicket.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Last year I had a doe sniff a tree that i had climbed up (climbing stand) the bottle that i had been spiiting my redman in tipped over earlier an she had been sniffing it I figured it was the molasses in the ' baccer. One of dad' s friends was sittin in a bush an had a doe to look him eye to eye just feet from him, not knowing wether this was for truth or not he continued sayin that he gave her a right hook, he did come out of the woods with a doe witha swelled eye, maybe he did hit her or not. Still a good story
Old 11-18-2003, 03:11 PM

I normally only hunt from a stand so I don' t have all the neat experiences most of you do.

I got out of my climber early in bow season this year and walked to a point of the woods where it ran into a cut corn field. I just knelt there watching and waiting for my buddies to come out. I heard something and there was a small buck walking right for me. I waited and he came within about 5 yards then saw me and whirled and ran about 20-30 yards away. He wasn' t sure what I was cause he slowly came back to check me out again. This time he came to about 8-10 yards before he gave me the deer finger.

Years ago I was stalking in a light drizzle and almost stepped on a red fox[] I don' t know who was the most frightened me or the fox. I think it was the fox because it left scratch marks about 2 feet long when it took off.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:24 PM

I stillhunt/stalk for deer in New England. I can usually stalk to within 20 yards of deer. A good percentage of the time it is in the 10-15 yard range. On one occasion I came out of dense laurel, pushing my way through the thickets making a ton of noise, only to come out and see a deer staring at me 5 yards away.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

This didn' t happen to me, but in honor of my dad, I will tell his story.

He pulled a Jurasic Park one day at the property. He heard rumbling behind him and then felt the ground. He thought it was an earthquake, but when he looked behind him he realized it was a heard of about 200 deer heading right at him full tilt. He ducked behind a stump on the edge of the field he was standing by and the deer went over the top of him. Then he changed his shorts.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:19 PM

Two feet or so...a doe walked right in on me when I was sitting against a tree. I decide to let her keep coming. At two feet I yell at the deer and scare the bejesus out of it. It was really funny watching her high tail it out of there.

Quick Reply: What' s the closest you ever got to a deer while hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.