Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What' s the closest you ever got to a deer while hunting?

Old 11-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What' s the closest you ever got to a deer while hunting?

a couple of years ago, my friend and i were just going into the woods in the afternoon and heard a buck grunt, so my friend grunted back, and a spike came running in and its head was to the ground and slobber was just running out of his mouth, he came right to my boot and smelled it and then kept going, my friend actually got his camera out and took a pic but the buck was about 12 feet behind by that time... it was really neet....
Old 11-18-2003, 01:27 PM
New Sheriff

arms length
Old 11-18-2003, 01:28 PM

Some guys posted on here and I read about others in a mag that would have competitions to see who could touch one first. They would sit downwind of a campfire and get the smoke all over them, stand behind a tree on a well-used path and reach out and grab hair out of the deer' s back. One guy tried it and when he pulled on the hair, he slipped in the mud and got under the doe. She proceeded to stomp the hell out of him and pee all over him. That would be fun to explain at the deer camp.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

My personal best is about 10 feet while hunting from the ground. Thankfully they were up wind. Never knew I was there.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

About 10 1/2 feet. it was 3 bow lengths.

A doe came from down wind as I had curiosity scent on my silencers. I was leaning against a tree wtching a trail uphill. I heard a noise and peered around the tree, as the doe peered around also. I was holding my recurve knocked and ready, and by the time It was up and drawn the doe was gone. 3 Leaps and it vanished, that was the quickest I had seen anything ever move.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

5 yards on the ground. Me leaning against a big tree trunk, doe broadside.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

A few weeks aao i was on the ground and had a large doe come with in arms reach of me. It was awesome. What a rush. Only problem.....I wanted to draw...but couldn' t.

j
Old 11-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It' s been a few years, but one morning after I got out of the stand, I decided to sit down next to a tree and watch this hollow to see if there was any deer movement. It was drizzling rain and I fell a sleep with my back to the tree. I was awakened by a doe nudging me on the shoulder with her nose to see what I was. It startled me and I jumped and the doe almost did a backflip.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

7 feet
Old 11-18-2003, 02:05 PM

Over 30 years ago I had a doe walk by a bush I was hiding in. I was dead set on shooting a buck so, I just gently poked it with the arrow. Funny, but it had almost no reaction and just kept on walking.

Quick Reply: What' s the closest you ever got to a deer while hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.