Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

P&Y let-off % rule change effective ' 04, have you seen this?

Old 11-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default P&Y let-off % rule change effective ' 04, have you seen this?

Don' t recall seeing this discussed here, but I could have easily missed it. In case I didn' t, here it is-

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...threadid=42306

After 12-31-04, bucks killed with a legal bow with greater than 65% let off will be eligible for entry, with an " *" placed by the entry in the book. The rule is retroactive to include all deer killed in the past meeting the new rule.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:48 AM

Default RE: P&Y let-off % rule change effective ' 04, have you seen this?

It' s about time. P&Y basically had to change their stance or they were eventually going to fade away...
Old 11-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It' s about time! I now have a buck that I can enter.....doubt if I will though.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Don' t matter to me, I do not like anything higher than 65% letoff. Anything higher is uncomfortable and less accurate for me.

I don' t think P&Y has to worry about fading away......their minimum standards are how most bucks are judged as as a shooter in the field. I have never heard anyone say," yep! that was a Buckmaster buck." [X(]
Old 11-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, this is somewhat of a shocker to me as I thought they would never change the rule...despite the large amount of support for the change. I should go read that article as I am curious as to what specifically spurred the reason for the change.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not like anything higher than 65% letoff. Anything higher is uncomfortable and less accurate for me.
Cougar, I agree 100% with this. I shot 80% let off as that is what the bow I bought 3 years ago came with. After hearing from some guys on the tech forum who' s opinions I respect, I contacted the company and got the 65% module for $6. I can' t believe the difference in consistency since making the switch. I' ll shoot 65% from now on for the shootability aspect, regardless of P&Y rules...
Old 11-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m surprised to see the change but happy that it' s being done. I never really saw the point in setting the limit at 65%.

Don' t matter to me, I do not like anything higher than 65% letoff. Anything higher is uncomfortable and less accurate for me.
Hmmm, well looks like I need to do some testing.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

With the growth of bowhunting, removing the % letoff limit, and the growth of QDM the P&Y book is going to grow very quickly. Most QDM properties have minimums of 16" spread and 8 points which would make any " legal" buck taken with a bow a P&Y candidate . Here in WI we even have 2 1/2 yr old bucks exceeding the P&Y minimums. It seems like the exclusivity of a P&Y buck is fading away. Has anyone heard talk of raising the P&Y minimums to coincide with the elimination of the % let off limit and the changing bowhunting world?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:23 PM

Life is change...Hasn' t it always been? P&Y absolutely has to worry about becoming obsolete and fading away? Thus the change I feel. The vast majority of bows sold are higher than 65% letoff anyway so as the years go by there are more and more P&Y minimum bucks taken by hunters that can' t (couldn' t ?) be entered. How many years do you think P&Y could let that go on without fading away? I guess the Beatty buck is somehow less because he used an " illegal" bow for lack of a better term. P&Y saw the writing on the wall and reacted accordingly if the above report is true. No less than Jim Dougherty came out in favor of the rule change. I believe he was a former president of P&Y and is truly respected in the archery world. When guys like that express concern over the future of P&Y then the P&Y people probably listen a little closer than they would to you or me.