Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

toughest deer in the world!

Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default toughest deer in the world!

ive seen discussion on whether deer can survive broadhead wounds. thought i' d share this story.
Friend #1 is bowhunting and shoots at a small buck 15yds away. the deer snaps his head at the shot and drops in its tracks. Friend #1 climbs down, only to have the deer get up and run away with his arrow sticking out of its head. Friend #1 is very upset looks for the deer but not a drop of blood to be found.
NOW, 4 weeks later, Friend#2 is gun huntingabout 2 milesfrom where #1was bowhunting. He sees a buck chasing a couple does and shoots the buck. friend #2 takes the deer to my dad( taxidermist) to get it mounted. (it was small but his 1st) when my dad is skinning the head, he finds #1' s broadhead lodged halfway through the upper skull plate. the deer' s brain was not damaged, but it " grew away " from the intrusion and formed a dense brown " ball" of tissue around the blades. the skin on the top had totally covered the blades that were exposed. the deer was healthy with a good layer of fat, and #2 says it was behaving totally normal. i am sure this is an exceptional case, but to actually hold this skull in your hands and look at makes you marvel at the toughness of these critters. amazing!
-moose

Old 11-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: toughest deer in the world!

another view from the inside..

Old 11-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

[][][][][]
Old 11-18-2003, 05:23 AM

Heck, I thought you were posting about my wife' s cooking
Old 11-18-2003, 05:47 AM

A muzzy would have blown right through

However, still, at that angle that the broadhead is in at the front of the skull...I' m trying to figure out how that buck would have snapped his head in front of the arrow unless He was quartering too rather severely?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:05 AM

Actually, I had one almost do that to me the other day. He was a spike quartering away. As I drew and was about to release, he snapped his head around to groom his tail or something. If I had shot, I would have nailed him in exactly the same way. He stayed turned like that for a while and then walked off straight away from me-no shot. I definitely could see how this could happen.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:53 AM

talk about a splitting headache !
Old 11-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh well someone' s got to say it, it might as well be me. Why did friend #1 shoot a deer in the head with a bow in the first place?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Silentassassin,
YOu need to re read his post, it sounds to me like he was quartering away, and at the shot he swung his head around and took it between the eyes, I dont think he was intending to hit him in the head. But, I may be wrong.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

How in the hell do you aim for the vitals and get him in between the eyes

Quick Reply: toughest deer in the world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.